So Long, Farewell

The Trixie Update is soon coming to an end. It has been a three-year labor of love, and we’ve enjoyed sharing a special part of our life with the world. However, Trixie is only getting older, and I feel more and more protective of her (and my family) as she has grown from a human baby into a fully formed independent being. There will probably be a few more pictures coming, some of Trixie, some not, but I’m not making any promises about updating the site, or what the site may become. On a side note, we’re not pregnant and we haven’t been on vacation. Sometimes things just come to an end without much fanfare.

Update: Monday 9/11/06 10:00pm
Here’s a few more notes:
1) I’m not taking the site down. The archives will be up indefinitely.
2) I’m keeping the domain name too. When she wants it, I’ll give it to her. Check back in 5-10 years. It will be Trixie’s own blog then ๐Ÿ™‚
3) Thanks to everyone for all the heartfelt comments. It really means a lot.

This entry was posted in Site News. Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to So Long, Farewell

1. Jamie says:

Aw, sad news but I gott say I can see your point of view. Some day I’ll have to make the same decision.

Thanks for the three years or so you did share, Ben.

2. Colleen says:

I’m so sorry to read this. Of course you have to do what’s best for Trixie, Jenn, and yourself. Please know that it has been a great three years. Watching Trixie grow has been a fun process. She’s gone from this tiny baby to a ‘real person’ and it was amazing that you let us come along for the ride. I’m so grateful that you’ve shared your family with us internet readers. Thanks and good luck in the future.
    An everyday trixie update reader,
    Colleen

3. jr says:

Thaaaaaaaaaaanks for the memories… ๐Ÿ™‚ The last 2.5 years have been fun!

My baby girl is 9 months old now, but our website is securely locked-down, and only friends and relatives have approved log-ins. Even then, I’m sure the format will change over the years for us as well.

Good luck in all your endeavors!

4. Mike says:

I’m so sorry to hear this news, although I’ve feared that it would come for some time now.

Ben, Jen, and Trixie, you’ve all been an inspiration for my wife and I as we start our family. Thank you so much!

5. Bethany says:

All good things must come to an end. I am sure in some ways, you will be as sad as anyone. Know that you have brightened so many people’s days, and given encouragement and reasons to laugh to many other parents out here. Good luck with Trixie Tracker, and whatever else life brings you. If I ever happen to run into you on the street somewhere (you never know–stranger things have happened) I’ll be sure to say hello. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Jenie says:

Awwww. I’m not surprised and completely understand, yet at the same time, I’m a little sad to see TTU ending. Thanks for sharing as long as you have, Ben! Good luck and best wishes to you, Jenn, and Trixie!!

7. Marie says:

Thanks for sharing what you have, Ben, Jenn & Trixie. I was first brought to your site because of some similarities with our situation…including a stay-at-home Dad.

Our daughters are less than 3 months apart. My daughter, when she’s reciting a list of her friends, includes Trixie. We’ll miss you.

8. Nicole R. says:

The Internet won’t be the same without you. Ah, well, we’ll always have the archives.

Despite what you say, as the site comes to an end you deserve a bit of fanfare, and I bet you’ll get it from your loyal readers. You’ve brought a lot of us great enjoyment. This is a special site and I want to thank you for all your hard work, as well as compliment you on your creative talents.

9. Nat says:

aww this is sad but I suppose understandable. I wish you all the best for the future. Best wishes to Trixie and all the family. You’re a great photographer and the site was wonderful – thanks for allowing us to share it with you. Take Care.

10. tanyetta says:

whoa. sorry to see you go. ๐Ÿ™

11. Sylv says:

This is the first site I check each morning. It always puts a smile on my face and starts the day off right. You have given me many laughs and warm moments. Of course I will miss seeing pictures of Miss Trixie’s adventures and your wit, but I completely understand.

Thank you so much for the last 3 years of sharing.

12. becky says:

I’m sorry to see TTU go, as I’ve really become a fan of the site over the last couple of years, even though I don’t know your family at all. I can only imagine that the last week or so has solidified your decision that you are doing the right thing with all the demands that you put up pictures of Trixie and tell us exactly what was going on. I stayed out of it, but I’m still sorry about all of that. Thanks again for sharing and good luck in the future! At least on mondays I can still check out Sam’s Story over on Jamie’s site. ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Sarah says:

Thanks for the past two years of memories. Trixie always made me laugh, and if I was ever on vacation the first thing I would do when I got back is check in on Trixie.

Thanks for this great website. =)

-Sarah

14. Nanay says:

Thanks a bunch for sharing your experiences. At least we know we’re not alone when our own kids do weird things.

As everyone else has said, I’m sad to see TTU go but understand. ๐Ÿ™ I was curious how long you were going to keep it up. Mornings won’t be the same. Best wishes to you and your family.

15. ann says:

Wow. I will miss the Trixie Update, which has been on my list of “must-check-daily” websites since a few days after she was born. (Schaffer clued me in early.) But thank you so much, Ben and Jennifer, for sharing the blossoming of little Trixie. It was a big gift to us.

Still, I can’t wait for Trixie to hit her teens and starts her own blog (or whatever the kids are calling it in the year 2016!)

Take care and thanks again.

16. Liz says:

I check TTU and TPOD everyday and enjoy very much seeing your photos and reading your stories. I’ve never posted before (though I check in everyday) but wanted to take the opportunity to say goodbye and good luck. Youรƒโ€šรขโ‚ฌโ„ขll be missed.

17. bethany says:

Benmac, you should use Cafepress or something to make up some t-shirts using those black-and-white face patterns you put in Trixie’s crib way back in September of 2003. They are, to most TTU fans, an instantly recognizable image from this site. That would be a cool way for you to celebrate the end, and maybe get a little advertising in for Trixie Tracker. ๐Ÿ™‚ I bet you’d have lots of buyers.

18. Mrs. Ewer says:

Thank you for your hard work on the site. TTU has been a fun, daily read for me for nearly 2 and half years. I would love to see you leave the archives up as a reference for new parents.

19. Patti says:

So long, farewell. Auf wiedersehen. Goodbye. Thanks for sharing and inspiring. Bonne chance.

20. Hava says:

Coming to the site was a lot of fun. Thanks so much for sharing and being funny even while exhausted and frustrated – it was inspirational. Stay-at-home dads who use the web as an outlet for their creativity are great. I wish there were more of your kind ;).

21. Jeff says:

Ben/Jenn/Trixie:

Thank you very much for allowing all of us to share part of your lives for the last 3 years! We have enjoyed your openness and will miss the daily dose of your family.

Almost all of us realize that there was going to be a point where it no longer would be cool to show Trixie growing up on a day-to-day basis. You nailed it when you said “fully formed independent being” – she now has a life. A rich one that you’ve helped her create. But I hope you also realize that those of us here will miss it not because of voyeuristic tendencies, but because you and Jenn provided an example of how to create a loving and caring environment.

Whether those of us out here already have children or are about to have children (or will never have children), you’ve given us a place to come and experience a taste of what a great family is made of. Thank you.

And Nicole R. is right… you should go out with some fanfare. Not because you HAVE to, but because you’ve earned it! (Granted, I have no clue what that fanfare should be, sorry for a lack of creativity).

Oh, and I hope you’ll do 2 things: 1. Keep this site up as a historical reference. You’ve created the gold standard and I’m going to need to use it as a reference when my children come into the world. ๐Ÿ™‚ And 2. Come back every now and again. Let us know how you’re doing – not on a day-to-day basis or anything that invasive. But the annual Christmas Card Letter version… because in letting us into your family, you’ve become part of ours, too. So now we care.

Again, thank you for the wonderful years of work. As I said a long time ago, Trixie, I’ll say it again now. Give your dad (and mom) a hug. They’ve done something for you that is more valuable than anything you’ll ever have – they gave you unconditional, unabashed and unwavering love. And they weren’t afraid to show it to the entire planet.

22. lori says:

Dearest Ben, Jennifer and Trixie,

What can I say that I haven’t already said in previous comments throughout the years and personally. TTU has meant so much to my husband and I – words just cannot truly express our gratitude.

I’d also like to take just a moment to thank all who have left comments over the years who have helped to contribute to TTU with their insight and experience of brining a baby into this world.

Jeff, you said it perfectly….and you brought tears to my eyes.

Love & Hugs,
    Lori (and Scott)

23. I found your site in Early 2005 after googling “Medela Pump In-Style”

Since then I’ve been a daily visitor,and I was a beta tester for the Trixie Tracker. I feel so dumb in saying I feel like I know you all, but I do, and I’ll miss you.

So thanks for the memories, and “Good Night, and Good Luck”

On to bigger and better things!

24. momwannabe says:

Thanks so much for sharing your journey with all of us…it’s been wonderful. Best of luck, and we’ll miss you.

25. Kristen says:

Thanks for everything. Trixie is about 1 year older than my son, so I’ve used your site to educate me about the things to come. (I checked your sleeps logs a lot when he was younger.) I wish you, Jenn, and Trixie the best.

26. Tom N. says:

Well, we’re sorry to see you go, but we all understand. Thanks for sharing your great perspective on parenthood for the past few years, thanks for giving us a new way to look at all the details of our babies’ lives, and good luck in the future!

I do have one selfish question: Will the archives stay online, or are you taking them down?

27. Jaynee says:

Ben, it has been an absolute pleasure to read about Trixie’s adventures over the past two years that I’ve been reading the site. I love the Trixie Tracker and will be getting my sis to sign up when she has her baby in February.

Take care, good luck and all that folderol!

Jaynee

28. Karrie says:

Will you at least be back if you have another baby? I will miss you guys so much! ๐Ÿ™‚

29. Scottish Mummy says:

I feel bereft at this news! Jeff hit the nail on the head by saying, “in letting us into your family, you’ve become part of ours too” and I guess this is why my family is so sad at the news. It has been a wonderful thing to watch Trixie blossom and a very splendid accomplishment on the part of her mum and dad. I will miss the TPOD, the hilarious captions and the journals of juvenile development by Ben. My fingers are crossed in the hope we might be honoured with Christmas/birthday updates in the future, just to see how Trixie is doing and to salve our appetites. We miss you already Trixie, Ben and Jen, but we are really glad you shared Trixie’s first years with us. Kisses, Nicola (Scottish Mummy) Olivia (8) Georgia (6.5)

30. Summer says:

I’m so sorry to see this all go ๐Ÿ™
    I have loved seeing her grow… I, too, would love a once-a-year photo or something just to see how she continues to grow!
    Best wishes

31. Lindsay says:

Here’s an idea for a “fanfare” way to end this. All us people that enjoyed reading about Trixie’s adventures can send Ben and Jenn a donation to Trixie’s college fund as a thank you gift for allowing us into their lives! Except for most of us who read this have kids of our own to get through college…

32. Sophie says:

I’ve been visiting your site for a long time now, and have never posted, but realize that this may now be my last chance to do so. Thank you for the years of mind-boggling charts, quirky stories, and lovely photos. Your humor helped my through my first year of law school, as cute kittens combatted frightening finals and Trixie’s smile made me smile, despite many reasons to frown. I’ll miss you!

33. y says:

I only hope you will continue to TPOD in private for Trixie (…and maybe your family!). Imagine how incredible it would be to have nearly everyday of your life in photos! You will certainly be missed. (And just wondering…was it on purpose you chose 9/11 to make this announcement? Aren’t we sad enough?)Enjoy every second of your girl! It all goes by way too fast!

34. Erin Alanna says:

Thank you for sharing Trixie for as long as you have. I wish your family the best-
    Thanks

I’ll certainly miss you and Trixie. Maddie was born one week before Trixie and I’ve enjoyed watching them get big together. Even though my commenting has lessened, I’ve checked daily since close to the beginning. I would like to send my love to all of you. If you’re ever in the Pacific Northwest, you have a place to stay. (How weird is that? I’m offering my home to folks I’ve never met?!)

Maddie’s Mom (aka Kathy)

36. Jill says:

You guys have been the greatest! I have checked on Miss Trixie every weekday since about the first of 2004 or so when I discovered your site! If for some reason I’ve been up and about after midnight here in my timezone – I have checked to see if you perchance had the new Trixie picture up yet!

Enjoy your sweet family! Our babies grow up fast!

37. drubel says:

We discovered TTU just a few weeks ago after googling ‘sleep training’…and it’s become one of our favorites. I’m just glad we found it before the end:( Anyway, thanks for all the humor and real-life nitty gritty baby stories – they have helped us immensely with our 6 month old challenging sleeper (who I thought had a lock on the market for 38 minute naps).

38. em says:

I’ve enjoyed checking this site daily for ages now, although I’ve never commented before. This might sound a bit hippie, but watching Trixie discover her world has been a great daily reminder of the enthusiasm we all start off with as kids. And 10 seconds of that during a hard day at work can really brighten things up! As someone who never wanted kids, getting a bit of an insight into how much you’ve valued and enjoyed sharing your world with Trixie, despite the tricky times, has also made me look forward to having my own family one day. I’ll miss The Trixie Update, but thanks for sharing for as long as you have, and best wishes for all of your family in the future!

39. Naomi says:

I’m going to miss your site too, but am glad you guys are being protective. Good luck!

40. JCB says:

My twins are 2003 babies as well. I have been following the Trixie update for a year. I have always loved checking in. Your family encouraged and let me know I was on track in all this craziness. Your photo’s are a true insight to life without a top for a blender=toddlerhood. Thank You…

41. Leslie says:

Aw, sadness. I’ve loved checking the Trixie Update and can’t remember when I started following. I’ll miss the daily reminder of how wonderful and amazing the world was when I was little, though I completely understand your decision. I’ll still continue to check it daily, and am so happy that the archives will remain. Sometimes, after a really long night at work, cute Trixie pics are the best fix for frustration I can think of.

Thank you for the past three years!

42. amanda says:

Hello – We found your site at work while googling Trauma pelvic orthotic device AKA TPOD and Trixie has been much more entertaining! Just wanted to say that I have been hooked since. Good luck!

43. Rob says:

Ben, Jenn and Trixie –

I can’t possibly add anything to the sentiments that have already been posted, but to say “Thanks”. The outstanding outlook you have and attitude you have displayed in raising your daughter should be put in a pill and dispensed to all new parents. The world needs more like you.

In my professional life, I work daily with the Russian space program. I seem to remember that Trixie’s middle name can be traced to Valentina Tereshkova, the first woman in space. With that namesake, I’m sure Trixie will go far.

Dosvedanya –

Rob, Cassandra and Jackson (2 1/2)

44. Sil says:

I remember the looks on my husband’s face when I first started saying to him, “Well, Trixie was doing this and that at this age so I think Abby [b. 5/3/05] will start doing it as well” – it was classic: WHO IS THIS TRIXIE YOU KEEP BRINGING UP?

I’ve never commented (I don’t think) but I’ve been visiting ever since we thought about trying, back in 2004. As a working mom, I would go back to the archives to see how Ben and Jenn dealt with pumping, storing milk, lamenting that the telemetries were made available too late… Long story short, TPOD was the first website I checked every morning when I came into work, and I will miss it terribly.

All the best to your family… and a big hug to Trixie. Looking forward to checking back in several years and finding it to be Trixie’s own blog!

45. janet says:

I have enjoyed watching you grow up Trixie. Your dad has done a wonderful job of spot lighting you. I have very few pictures of myself at that age, of coarse I’m and old fart and we didn’t have digital technology back in those days.

Be good!

46. Kimberley says:

Ben, Thank you for the Trixie site. We will miss it. Our 4th child has an Aug 03 birthday, so she’s enjoyed watching the site with me the most and knows her by site now. I’ve really enjoyed your writing and watching how Trixie has grown into a preschooler. I’ll miss checking daily for my quick peek into another family’s life. I hope you write a book or publish a pictorial of her first years.

47. allison says:

I’ve never commented before, so now is the time for me to say a huge THANK YOU to benmac and jen. Reading TTU really helped me through my first year as a mom. Pumping, feeding, sleep, development — reading about Trixie told me what to expect and helped me laugh through the bad (and good) times. I came for the data, but stayed for the excellent writing, creativity, and humor.

I also want to thank all the people who posted useful and clever comments over the years. You made TTU even better.

48. Kelli says:

TTU has been my first site to check every morning before beginning work. I’ve especially enjoyed playing the “where’s Trixie” game when the pics were taken out and about in the Triangle area, since I’m a “TTU local.” Been reading the site for, well, a long time, and I will miss the updates, but am most appreciative to Ben & Jenn for sharing their beautiful girl with the world for so long. Best to all of you.

49. mfk says:

how sad! I’ll miss trixie ๐Ÿ™ Good luck with everything.

50. Elaine says:

I, too, have been peering in on your world for what seems like a long time. I have enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing, and I’m sure you will, but keep taking pictures, you really have a talent there.

51. Zenzile says:

This totally makes sense. Trixie deserves a normal private life far from the prying eyes of online diaper counts. It would be interesting though, to see what she did with it on her own should she choose to accept it when you give to her. I will miss it though. : )

52. Jaynee says:

My kids have their own blogs as well, even though I’m the one maintaining them right now. But I’m with you in that I’ll keep up the domains even if I stop posting so that they can have ’em when they get older and can type. =)

53. Lindsay R. says:

What a shock! So this is what happens when I don’t check on Trixie for a week! I have sincerely loved the rare opportunity you have given us to watch your child grow. Thanks Ben and Jen.

I guess I’m gonna have to have my own kid now. Shucks.

54. christina says:

your website introduced me to the blogosphere, and now look at me! it’s been a pleasure to browse your charts and graphs and to be a part of beta TT and to continue with it. you guys are great.

i’m sad to see TTU go, but i certainly understand.

thank you, thank you, thank you.

55. Duane says:

Sure gonna mis the “trixter” Thanks for shareing her life with all of us, a picture every 5 years would let us remember her. Thanks again

56. Evan Satoru says:

Awwww, I’m going to miss you Trixie! My Daddy will probably do the same thing when I’m older. His intention was always for me to take over my blog (for real.. if I want).

Good luck Trixie.. thanks for the memories!

57. Nicole R. says:

Ben, I thought I’d share the little homage I’ve posted over at my blog … I wanted to post a version of it here as well, so more folks than my ten daily readers can see how much you are appreciated!

– – – – –

Twilight for the Trixie Update

Although it hasn’t stopped completely yet, I wanted to post a little something in recognition of the upcoming end of one of my favorite Web sites, the Trixie Update. It was one of the very first “baby blogs” I ever found, and I didn’t then appreciate how atypical it was — well-written yet lively; funny yet respectful; loving yet unsentimental; hip yet polite; and always meticulously designed.

I think I found the Trixie Update via its hilarious and useful feature entitled “Milk Week,” which was linked from Kellymom, a breastfeeding / attachment parenting site. I was a new parent then, and I had been reading with grim seriousness information on pumping and storing breast milk. It turned out what I really needed was humor, which I found in the mock seriousness of the Trixie Update. I got a big kick out of the narrative voice — Trixie’s father Ben pretended to be an objective baby experimenter while clearly he was head-over-heels in love with his daughter.

After this introduction, I began to tune in for the art — every day Ben, a trained artist, posted an amazing photograph of his very pretty little girl. Then I got hooked on the data analysis — he didn’t just complain about her naps, he collected data and created graphs to visually demonstrate her schedule. But when I realized that I could easily track my son myself with our own Trixie Tracker — well, my readers know how enthusiastic I am about that! So then I was completely sold on the whole Trixie franchise.

Although sadly the Trixie Update comes to an end, thankfully Trixie Tracker continues. (If you haven’t tried it yet, check it out!) Here’s a big thanks, Ben, for all the creative work you’ve shared with us.

Thank you everyone for all the comments. I have read each one — at least twice — with a deep appreciation. You all really know how to make a guy feel special. Thank you.

59. Lauren says:

Ben,
    I’m sorry to say I’ve never posted before, I’m posting now just as a thank you and a sad good-bye. As many of the previous posters have written, you were an inspiration for my son’s blog and for my outlook on life as a parent. In times of stress I’d check to see how/what Trixie was doing at certain ages and your humor got me back on track, ready to face the world with a smile again. The pictures are a fantastic collection. I post a picture everyday and on many occasions used your site for ideas and inspiration. Thanks so much for sharing her with us!

Sincerely,
    Lauren

60. Michelle says:

My oldest son Clark is just two weeks older than Trixie and I found your site back in the early days when little Trixie and Clark were only a few months old. I have checked in almost daily since and enjoyed the site immensely. Thanks for all your insight, for willingly sharing your lives with all of us, and most of all — for all the laughs!

Best of luck!

61. Sunshine says:

Thanks for all the pictures…our daughter is 5 weeks old on Monday, and we named her Beatrice, Trixie for short. I must say it was the TPOD that sold me on the name. — Thanks a bunch!

62. Kimberly says:

Thank you so much, Ben and Jenn, for sharing your and your daughter’s life with us for so long!

This site was an absolute blast to visit every day. Best wishes to all of you!

63. damedonna says:

Unfortunately, I only found your site a few months ago (and was instantly hooked). I’ve been keeping two sites up for our daughter since she was born (10.09.05) – a family/friends site with weekly photos and journaling, and a daily photo blog since the new year. I can honestly say they are the best thing I’ve done as a mother and hope that Ava, our daughter, will enjoy reading my “articles” and checking out her photos of her life when she’s older. And who knows, maybe she’ll want to participate herself.

My favorite feature of your site is the ability to click back to the previous year’s photo. I would love to know if that is an easy feature to add to my AVA364 blog. Thanks for taking the time to share your adventures as a dad with the world. Good Luck to your family!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

64. Lindsey says:

I just want to say thanks for keeping the archives up. I’m expecting my first baby in March and I’ve already gone back to look at your data to make decisions for my own child (the first was a cost/benefit analysis of cloth vs. disposable diapers based on the number Trixie used her first year). I’m sure that is not the last time I will refer to this site for information. I will definitely be signing up for the Trixie Tracker in March!

65. Ellen says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is my first post, but I’ve been visiting for a year now and have enjoyed most of the archives. As a doctoral student in a clinical psychology program, I thank you for sharing a wonderful example of a loving supportive family. As a woman who hopes to be a mother someday, I thank you for showing me that if my husband stays home with our future children, they’ll be fine (and maybe better). And as a decent human being, I thank you for never selling out, and for stopping the site when it became time to do so.

66. rkt88edmo says:

Just dropped in to find the link to the atomic baby, so I can show other folks one of the coolest costumes I’ve ever seen as Halloween approaches.

I was referred here back just after our daughter was born by some friends who were amazed by your Tracker and blog. Now our little girl is two years old.

Thanks for sharing!