2 years, 10 months, 25 days old

Trixie has really been pushing her bedtime recently. It’s not terribly hard to get her to bed, but once she’s there, she stays awake for hours and hours.

One thing she does is take care of her own dolls and put them to bed. She’ll do diapers, feed them, line them up, tuck them in and then do it all over again. She also loves sneaking out of bed and quietly playing with toys. The toy of choice lately is the enormous set of plastic foods — fruits, meats, vegetables, plates, cups — everything you need for a picnic. And a picnic she makes. We’ll find her setting up places for all her babies on a blanket in the middle of the room. We tell her to stay in bed and she’ll leap back where she’s supposed to be.

This past week, I heard some stuff going on and popped my head in. She was in her bed, but then I noticed a picnic setting and some food on the covers.

“Trixie, this doesn’t belong in bed. It goes back on the blanket and you need to go to sleep”

I started moving the food back and discovered more and more pieces buried in the sheets and covers. There were dozens of chicken legs and orange slices, french fries and apple pies. I moved her pillow and it crunched. It was stuffed full of plastic utensils and dairy products.

“Trixie, what in the world is all this food doing in your pillow?”

Very matter-of-factly she declared, “They are under my stuffed animals, too. I was hiding them because I didn’t know if you were peeking in or not.”

What could I do? I was very impressed. She had an entire picnic — like about 150 pieces of plastic — hidden in her bed. I’m going to put her in charge of cleaning up next time company comes over.

This entry was posted in Behavior. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to 2 years, 10 months, 25 days old

1. an old fan says:

Trixie is tricksy!

2. Jessica says:

Hilarious!!

I notice her naptimes seem to be dwindling down too!!

3. Judy says:

I’m quite impressed that she can entertain herself like that, no matter what time of day…she should send some pointers to my boys!

4. kate says:

i loved the fake food when i was little.
    i would make soup in the middle of the night.
    at the time it felt so wrong! =)

5. Jeff says:

Classic. I love the open honesty (I did something bad, but I’m going to tell you about it anyways). I wonder how long that’ll continue.

6. lori says:

Plastic fruit was “forbidden fruit” when I was growing up. My Grandma had them in her fruit bowl on the kitchen table and we were NOT to play with it. It was for decorative purposes only. (Sigh)

Needless to say, as an adult, I have no culinary skills.

I’m glad Trixie is enjoying her foods.

P.S. She needs plastic ants to complete the picnic experience!

7. Rob says:

Sounds like we have this to look forward to also. My daughter is 25 months old and just started staying up an hour or more a night after we put her to sleep. We’re holding off on switching her to the toddler bed to avoid the all night Care Bears tea parties.

8. Jamie says:

I’m getting ready to go through this with Sam. We’re transitioning her from a crib to a twin-sized bed in a few days (she’s 126 weeks old, whatever that works out to), and lately she’s been lying awake for a while after going down. She just talks to herself right now, but I’m wondering what will happen when nothing’s keeping her from getting to the stuff in her room. Or worse, roaming the house.

9. hokieamy says:

My daughter (who’s about the same age as Trixie) does the same thing. She will set out her tea set, play with her stuffed animals, even “read” herself a book. Some nights it’s two hours later and she’s still awake!!

10. Colum tries to downplay it, like “But Daddy, I’m just putting these things in my bed to play with.”

11. Jaynee says:

Fortunately my kids don’t demand too much in bed, although there have been times that Olivia has grabbed all the toys she could and put it under the covers. She has also been known to share with her brother (who shares the bedroom with her) by tossing toys aplenty into his crib. I finally opted to let her (and her younger brother) have a book at bedtime and stay up as long as they want to “read” (she’s three – she can’t read quite yet). It cut down on toy pilfering dramatically.

It sucks that it stays light until 9 p.m. though – putting them to bed at 8 p.m. just seems like torture for them. I can’t wait for the fall when it’s DARK at night again.

12. Christine says:

Is she still napping?

This may be what is keeping her up at night. It was a sad day when my son gave up his nap…but was very obvious once he did, bedtime fell right back into place.

Hope this helps.

13. christine says:

…I also have a 26 mo old girl who is starting to play at night too…but I just can’t give up her nap yet…her brother was 4!

14. thordora says:

I am SO glad I’m not the only one suffering from this…try having TWO kids in a room doing this…