On this day in 1999

Jennifer and I have been married seven years today.

While living in Chicago we made the decision to get married on Tuesday.

We flew to Las Vegas on Friday.

We were married at 1:15 pm Sunday, June 20, 1999, at the Little Church of the West, the oldest existing structure on the Las Vegas Strip. The ceremony was presided over by Rev. Jim Hamilton who also conducted the ceremony in the 1992 film “Honeymoon in Vegas”. It was 108 degrees.

In attendance were a handful of good friends, but the only family was represented by Jennifer’s sister (now the proud mama of Baby Roma). Since that time, I’ve come to understand and respect the duress and disappointment (to say the least) we caused family and friends by maneuvering outside the conventional path of wedding planning and preparation. I want to thank everyone for forgiving us! With age comes experience. We’re thinking maybe we can make it up with a more formal 10-year anniversary celebration.

I’m so lucky to be married to someone as beautiful, intelligent, caring and dynamic as my wife. And for her giving me Trixie. Happy Anniversary Jennifer!

How does Subway sound tonight? (They have that two for Tuesday deal!)

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to On this day in 1999

1. shawn says:

snifff…..awww. congrats you two crazy mixed up kids.

…….

and subway does sound good.

2. Jamie says:

Congrats!

And you can take part in a big formal wedding when Trixie gets married. 🙂

3. Kari says:

how sweet, happy anniversary! just think of all the stress you saved yourselves. a 10-year celebration will be great.
    my husband and i had a small wedding which became bigger than what we decided on, but we were able to pass the responsibility off to those people who thought it should be a certain way. it was a huge lesson in, “you can’t make everyone happy all the time”.
    now with our 1st child due in less than 5 weeks, i hope things go smoother.
    enjoy your dinner tonight, no matter what you decide on, oh and if nothing else i’m sure trixie wouldn’t mind cooking up something.

4. lori says:

Happy Anniversary Ben & Jenn!

Seven years…they say the first 7 years are the hardest. Not sure who “they” are, but I guess it’s all in who you marry. Right? The first 4.75 years of marriage with my husband have been wonderful!

Hmmm…I hope that doesn’t mean we’re going to have 7 rough years all crammed into the next 2+ years. But I digress…

I wish you both MANY MORE years (and a lifetime) of HAPPINESS!

Love,
    Lori (and husband)

P.S. Ben, you must not have Togo’s out where you live. Maybe it’s a West coast thing. It’s like an upscale Subway. But I’d wait to splurge on your 10th!

Happy Anniversary y’all! What a sweet sweet message, Ben.

6. Judy says:

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY BEN AND JENN! And here’s to 10 times more!

7. Jenie says:

Awww! Happy Anniversary you guys!!

8. Amy says:

Congratulations! I am a long time lurker, love your site. It’s my anniversary today, too – 14 years here!!

9. Valerie says:

Aw…I graduated from high school in 1999. But I’ve been married for 3 years now and in retrospect, I wish we would’ve gone to Vegas. It would’ve saved me a ton of anxiety attacks and not to mention money. My aunt and uncle did the Vegas elope thing like you and then had a formal ceremony a few years later. I think you have the right idea.

OOoh, Subway…..I’m about 8 weeks pregnant, and nothing sounds good to me….but Subway kind of does now. Thanks for the idea Ben! Hope you guys have a great celebration and congrats!

10. y says:

hmmm…just guessing that Ben has no gift and no flowers! but really his ode should do!

oh…and if you did eat Subway…be sure to start it as an anniversary tradition!

11. Marna says:

Congrats on the 7 years. I have been married 8 years today. I got a call this morning from my husband telling me Happy Annaversary. He is once again out of town on business. Leaving me with our beautiful 2 year old. This has been a regular occurance for the last 5 or 6 years. Enjoy your time together.

12. Aunt Bobbie says:

What beautiful thoughts, Ben!
    Jennifer, Aunt Jeanne and I were looking at your wedding pictures last night and didn’t realize how long it had been. Happy Anniversary…may it just get better and better. You’ve got the secret…appreciate each other!

13. Daniel says:

Congrats! Here’s to over seven times seven more!

14. katy says:

Congrats guys! Ihope you had a wonderful anniversary. Yall are such a wonderful, beautiful couple.

15. Amy says:

My husband and I share the same anniversary as you and Jenn! We have just been married one year longer – and have one more child.

16. jj says:

I’m placing my bets that when Trixie was born all was forgiven by those family members! Nothing instigates forgiveness like the great joy of healthy, happy grandchildren – and having all that unspent wedding ceremony money to spend on spoiling the babies!

17. christina says:

happy anniversary! and thanks jen, for giving ben trixie, and for ben making the trixie update, which led to trixie tracker. . . yea!

18. Rob says:

Congratulations, guys.

19. KC says:

Wow!
    We made the decision to get married on Tuesday…and got married 2 years, 3 months and 19 days later, during which I planned. Constantly.

I’m in deep awe of your spontaneity and efficiency.

Hope you had a lovely anniversary.

Congrats! Maddie’s Dad and I ran off and got married 11 years ago, and we’ve never regretted it. (The marriage or the elopement!)

21. Laura says:

Congratulations! And what a coincidence – we eloped to Vegas as well (husband proposed on the way to the airport, having booked the trip and everything without my knowledge) in 1993 and we were married the next day in the chapel that was in ‘Honeymoon in Vegas’ – World Famous Chapel of the Bells. It was just the two of us and I wouldn’t have changed a thing!