2 years, 10 months, 6 days old

The big event of the past week was the Sesame Street Live on Saturday evening. The tickets were actually courtesy of Trixie! She entered an Elmo coloring contest in the Raleigh News & Observer and received 4 tickets for some pretty good red scribbling. She did do a good job, but I think the winners were chosen at random.

Needless to say, Trixie loved the show. We had heard that some kids have a hard time when they see the characters jumping around in the real world, no longer contained by the TV screen. So we prepped her ahead of time by telling her that they are going to be bigger than they are on TV and that they may walk up to her. She didn’t have a problem with any of those issues and sat rapt the entire time. It’s probably the longest she has ever sat still — except for when she got up to dance a little bit.

On the other hand, I did have a hard time sitting still. I’ve got a pretty high tolerance for kid’s TV shows. Matter of fact, I love Sesame Street and I always start every weekday morning with Dragon Tales. But the live show was painful. It would be like Trixie trying to last through an episode of Law and Order.

We also found a tick on Trixie about 2 weeks ago. We discovered it after the bath, and it was a pretty panicky feeling. We know there’s a billion nasty diseases that could potentially result from tick bites, so we’ve been keeping watch for fever and mouth foaming. Thankfully nothing has come up. I’m just going to have be more careful the next time I roll her around in that tall unmowed grass.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to 2 years, 10 months, 6 days old

1. Judy says:

Tall unmowed grass will bring out the best in Tickland! Glad she’s surviving it well.

You are trooper for enduring Elmo and Co. A medal, yes, that is what you deserve!

2. Dianne says:

The ticks are worse than usual this year, at least in our part of the US (mid-atlantic). We’ve all had multiple ticks on us this year (both wood and deer) and we haven’t been spending time in unmowed grass… just our backyard and some playgrounds. I’m no doctor or public health official, of course. Keep a supply of lighters or matches close at hand 🙂

3. KC says:

There’s nothing like foaming at the mouth to put a damper on an otherwise nice day.

Trixie’s probably in the clear though, past the incubation period for most tick-borne illnesses (7-10 days). But, if she starts to foam at the mouth and look like an orangutan, I’d be scared.

4. Hope says:

Glad Trixie is doing okay after the tick incident. I remember the first (and only) time I ever had one. I was more afraid of my dad taking the match to it than the bug itself!

5. Michele says:

Wait till she wants to go see Dragon Tales live! Yes their is such a show. You might want to enlist Grandparents for that.

6. Mike says:

Forget what you’ve read. I’ve had a lot of ticks. Here’s how to get them out. Simply pull the tick straight out with a pair of tweezers (making sure to grab the tick as close to the skin as possible), and make sure that the head is out. Works every time.

And Ben, don’t worry about diseases. Like I said, I’ve had a bunch and I’m doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine doing fine.

Sorry. Not sure what happened there

I remember once that benmac told me that he thought of nature and the outdoors as his enemy and I thought he was crazy. Now I see that he is right. I am never taking my children outdoors again b/c if one of them had a tick, I would die of stress and then they would be orphans w/lyme disease to boot. That and Elmo in one week – may you never live another such torturous 7 days.

Oops. Did I mention that I got a 280 on the reading comprehension portion of the SAT and only made it to college b/c of my perfect 800 on the math and my gold medal in ice dancing in the 1984 Olympics? So, let me re-phrase – may you never have another such torturous 14 days. Just doesn’t sound as good, does it? Could you please revise your story to match my one-week timeline benmac?

9. lori says:

We use Frontline Flea & Tick medicine for the cat. It seems to work for him. It’s easy to use, too! Just a dab of the liquid medicine on the back of the neck and you’re good for a month!

I’d read the small print directions and cautions on the box before trying it on Trixie. You’ll know if she’s got a bad case of ticks (or fleas) if she starts scratching her neck & behind her ears with her back leg (I mean, foot). Oh, and if you do use it, don’t let her outside for at least 6-8 hours. They tend to try and rub it off in the dirt. Then, you get a dirty cat and have to bathe them…and that’s asking for torture!

Note: For those readers who are still uncertain…I’m just kidding! (I’d never bathe the cat!)

10. Shauna and Keir says:

Keir also loved the SS Live show–we went Sunday. He got to high five at least 5 different characters. Much better than Dora Live–I must say!

I think Trixie is “out of the woods” for this tick exposure.

See you on Saturday.
    Shauna and Keir

11. kate says:

i remember going to sesame street live when i was trixie’s age. i don’t remember loving or hating it, but all of the pictures look like i loved it. i loved prairie dawn!