2 years, 9 months, 29 days old

Trixie has become such a big kid, and communicates so well about so many things that it’s easy to forget that there’s still a vast world of cultural knowledge that rest of us of take for granted, and that she hasn’t experienced once. This showed up a couple of times this past week.

First we got a soda can out of a machine. She’s seen plenty of vending machines but we’ve never used one before. The drink in question was a delicious peach flavored Fresca. I stuck in the money, she pushed the button. When the can dropped — ka-KLUNK! — she jumped back four feet and came awfully close to landing on her ass. After thinking about it some, I bet she expected it to open up like a regular fridge. That would be the more civilized approach to dispensing beverages, but vending machines are not a high society item. Didn’t I mention, we were getting a Fresca?

Next we were rolling coins. You might expect that rolling coins had some sort of relationship to the aforementioned vending experience, but alas, it was just coin rolling day. The coins in question were an overflowing bucket that dates back 5 or 6 years. I figured I could get Trixie to help me with the counting and sorting. In exchange I told her I would share the profits.

She got into the idea of sharing and wanted to go get her piggy bank which is full of coins and a single dollar bill. She came back with the dollar bill ripped in half and declared she was going to share it with me. That caught me off-guard like crazy. Ripping up money. To be fair, Trixie hardly ever sees paper money. We don’t use it. Not at the grocery store, not at restaurants. Sometimes at Thee Dollhouse but Trixie isn’t usually there with us.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to 2 years, 9 months, 29 days old

1. Jessica says:

What is Thee Dollhouse?

2. Judy says:

It is so amazing to watch what they learn and how they learn it. My son was convinced there was someone living in the vending machines when he was little. He couldn’t fathom candy just falling out of a machine. Someone must have been there to push it.

I love the age Trixie is right now. I cannot wait for my younger son to reach this point. But, I am also enjoying where he is right now, too (he’s 18 months).

3. jpt says:

There is a strip club in the area that is called Thee Dollhouse.

4. Megan says:

If Trixie isn’t hanging out with you guys at Thee Dollhouse, I hope she’s at Dockside Dolls, at the very least. Gotta bring her up right, y’all!

5. KC says:

Well, Fresca is no Orangina, but it’s certainly not a Mountain Dew either. I drink Mountain Dews. So, I’m allowed to say that.

I just happened across your site after I Googled “nap transitions” and I must say that I was drooling over your nap plots. I tasked my husband with creating a program for doing the same thing, but this never materialized and I ended up manually plotting those bars on graph paper, cursing him all the while. I feel a deep kinship with this display of obsessive-compulsiveness. So, thank you.

Hi KC,

I’m glad you like the sleep charts. Thanks! If you are still dealing with nap transitions, you may want to take a look at Trixie Tracker. It’s software based on the Trixie Update charts and it’s really good at plotting nap transition patterns.

7. katy says:

I love the dollar bill story. THat is so cute – she wanted to share. It had me laughing out loud. So did you replace her dollar? Miss yall – give Trixie hugs and kisses.

Aunt Katy

8. mfk says:

you can still use the dollar bill if you have more than half of it 🙂