Trixie learned a lot of lessons this week; car doors are dangerous, candles are dangerous, running on hardwood floors when wet is dangerous and dropping stoneware is dangerous.
The week started out with a bang. Unhappy with her mother’s day present, Jennifer slammed the car door on Trixie’s hand Sunday morning. I know it sounds terrible. But you would think Trixie could do a little better than a card and some earrings. She won’t make that mistake next year.
It was a pretty scary moment. The only good thing is that her hand was slammed in the hinge of the back door (where it meets the edge of the front). There’s about a 3/8″ gap when the door is closed. That was enough to prevent her fingers from breaking. It was not enough to prevent a horrific indention in two of her fingers. 30 minutes of ice did wonders, but she’s still sporting band-aids as we hope to avoid infections.
Later that day, for reasons known only to her, Trixie grabbed a candle with her remaining good hand. It took me a good minute to figure out why she was crying because the wax was completely clear. I then grabbed one of the other candles and poured it on my forearm (like the way you check bath water or milk) to see exactly what kind of pain Trixie was experiencing. She was fine.
The next day Trixie jumped out the bath tub and tried to run to her room — across the hardwood floor. We’re thankful it wasn’t a concussion.
Tonight Trixie got out of clearing the table for the next couple of years when she dropped a 23 lb stoneware plate. The interesting part is that the plate did not shatter into a million pieces. Instead it cracked exactly in half. The really interesting part is that it left a small scratch on her toe the size of a paper cut. I have no idea how that happened. If the plate had landed square on her foot, I think it should have smashed her toe into a pulp.
In retrospect it wasn’t that bad a week. Trixie now has a healthy respect for metal, fire, water and dishes. If only I could somehow get my keyboard added to that list.