2 years, 9 months, 21 days old

Trixie learned a lot of lessons this week; car doors are dangerous, candles are dangerous, running on hardwood floors when wet is dangerous and dropping stoneware is dangerous.

The week started out with a bang. Unhappy with her mother’s day present, Jennifer slammed the car door on Trixie’s hand Sunday morning. I know it sounds terrible. But you would think Trixie could do a little better than a card and some earrings. She won’t make that mistake next year.

It was a pretty scary moment. The only good thing is that her hand was slammed in the hinge of the back door (where it meets the edge of the front). There’s about a 3/8″ gap when the door is closed. That was enough to prevent her fingers from breaking. It was not enough to prevent a horrific indention in two of her fingers. 30 minutes of ice did wonders, but she’s still sporting band-aids as we hope to avoid infections.

Later that day, for reasons known only to her, Trixie grabbed a candle with her remaining good hand. It took me a good minute to figure out why she was crying because the wax was completely clear. I then grabbed one of the other candles and poured it on my forearm (like the way you check bath water or milk) to see exactly what kind of pain Trixie was experiencing. She was fine.

The next day Trixie jumped out the bath tub and tried to run to her room — across the hardwood floor. We’re thankful it wasn’t a concussion.

Tonight Trixie got out of clearing the table for the next couple of years when she dropped a 23 lb stoneware plate. The interesting part is that the plate did not shatter into a million pieces. Instead it cracked exactly in half. The really interesting part is that it left a small scratch on her toe the size of a paper cut. I have no idea how that happened. If the plate had landed square on her foot, I think it should have smashed her toe into a pulp.

In retrospect it wasn’t that bad a week. Trixie now has a healthy respect for metal, fire, water and dishes. If only I could somehow get my keyboard added to that list.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to 2 years, 9 months, 21 days old

1. Patti says:

Oh no! Poor Trixie. Lucky Trixie (comparatively speaking). I read the story to my husband… his cousin closed a LOCKED car door on his hand. I once closed the door on my Grandmother’s hand. By the end of the story, however, I was mad at myself for laughing at her near misses. I guess its because they were misses at all that I could appreciate the humor… Or was I laughing because I’m scared witless for when it’s my turn?

2. Jamie says:

Well, look at it this way: if Nietzsche was right, Trixie will be able to bench press a Volkswagon by the middle of next week.

3. Summer says:

Aww poor Trixie! 🙁
    Rough week– luckily this week HAS to be better, right?!

4. Valerie says:

Wow, this brings back memories of when I was four and I slammed our locked car door on my finger….and no one heard me screaming for about 10 minutes until my neighbor saw me stuck to the car. The dr. had to DRILL a hole into my nail to relieve the pressure and the nail FELL OFF eventually. Pretty traumatic…I’ll bet you lots of money Trixie will never forget it. We’ve learned to be very careful with lit candles as our son likes to chew on them if he gets ahold of them. Imagine the damage if he ever got hot wax in his mouth? Anyway, glad she’s ok….kids have to learn through trial and error.

5. Valerie says:

Ok, I meant he likes to chew on the candles when they are not lit….so if he got ahold of them when they were, it’d be a disaster.

6. IbePiglet says:

A healthy respect she will have, but will it never happen again? These fingers of mine were slammed in car doors many a time, and yes thank God for the hinge gap! I never broke anything nor did I have the dreaded nail-falling-off repercussion. Perhaps if I had, it would not have happened more than once. Then again, perhpas I’m just a wee bit slow.

7. Judy says:

YIKES! Trixie’s learning some tough lessons this past week – why won’t they just believe what we tell them?

Hope this week is better for you, Trixie!

8. shawn says:

“Unhappy with her mother’s day present, Jennifer slammed the car door on Trixie’s hand Sunday morning.”

that line cracked me up.

but poor trixie…hope this weeks better. and if you are ever in maryland again allison wants to play with trixie….just passing on the message.

You forgot to mention that Trixie also has a healthy respect for Mommy and her mother’s day expectations. Although she should have slammed your hand in the door for the crappy present, not Trixie’s, but maybe she knew it would hurt you more to see it happen to Trixie? She’s crafty, that Jennifer.

p.s. I am blogging. Started last week, but wasn’t sure whether I could actually go through with it, but the exhibitionist in me has won out: Overpopulator

Hey Hannah, it’s so cool that you are blogging! I love the pic of the babies in the bathtub and reading about the maggot incident. I had blocked that out 🙂

11. Jaynee says:

Wow…Trixie sounds exactly like me when I was her age. Just watch out for her tree climbing days (fell over 10 feet), her running around the pond days (fell in and almost drowned), her wearing a plastic coat near the radiator days (coat caught on fire), and her riding a bike on the highway days (got hit by a car). Those were my worst days – let’s hope she can avoid them!

12. Chris says:

Wow, what a weird story!

13. Elizabeth says:

“Trixie now has a healthy respect for metal, fire, water and dishes. If only I could somehow get my keyboard added to that list.”

You know, Ben, there is an obvious solution here…. Just remember to turn off the electric shocks before you use the keyboard.