The Only Telemetry thats Still Kicking

Chart showing two years of human child sleep data

As most readers know, The Trixie Update isn’t as prolific as it used to be. This time last year we were a spry, young blog with lots of energy and boundless enthusiasm. Here we are a year later, which is about 29 years in internet time, and blogsteoporosis has set in. It’s hard to remember how we got here.

When Trixie was a few weeks old, we posted a few pictures, and a couple of stories about the miseries of sleep deprivation. At three months we had Telemetry up and running, and stories started rolling off the assembly line. At six months, we had collected so much data, the stories were writing themselves. That was our golden age.

By 12 months, having blown through a year of milk, we turned off Bottle Telemetry. By 18 months, Diaper Telemetry was discontinued. Here at 2 years all we have left is Sleep. It’s going to shut down some day too, but not yet. And until it does, we will dutifully present the data we have collected on the ever improving sleep habits of a 2-year human child.

The chart on the left right details 4,388 points of sleep data collected over the last 616 days. I wish I had data for the first few months, because that’s where the real painful stuff happened, but when it comes to raising children you just have to do the best you can and hope they turn out all right.

Sleep data is not enough to keep The Trixie Update running forever. But that’s where TPOD’s come in. I’m also still hoping to post more once Trixie Tracker launches. Thanks for sticking with us for almost two years!

Update: Want to create sleep charts for your baby or toddler?

Now you can! Give Trixie Tracker a try and discover your own amazing sleep patterns.

Some of the house favorites from the last 2 years:

The Cheerio Syndrome

XX

What do you think about…

Mealtime Atlas (images)

We’re all Mammals (images)

Still Mammals

Teeth (images)

Clik. clik. clik-click… clik

Paper Shredder (images)

And you thought metric was hard

Beware Toddlers Bearing Gifts

Two Nap Minimum (images)

Want more charts? Visit Metrics.

This entry was posted in Metrics. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to The Only Telemetry thats Still Kicking

1. Valerie says:

I’ve always loved statistics because you can cold hard prove things with them. Here you’ve proven (proved?) that there is light at the end of the tunnel for us new parents. Thanks for sharing your data creating critter with the public.

2. mamma of another trixie says:

and don’t forget the other reason for the blogsteoporosis: at two, trixie’s much more of a handful than at 1, and who’s got time to sit and compose anyway?

–trixienmojosmamma

3. Ann says:

Aw, I just got a little teary reading this. I’ve been reading since you started the site and I know that one day Trixie Telemetry will come to an end, but I’m just not ready! Trixie Tracker offers me the promise of more quality baby sites, but I just doubt that anyone can pull it off like you, Ben.

I can’t believe it’s been two years! Happy Birthday and congratulations, Ben and Jen!

4. Jenna says:

I mean on some level it can’t continue forever.

I can just see it now:
    “Daaaaaad! How come you posted that I like Jereeemmmy! All my friends are going to see it!”

Once she can navigate the web and read the site, it may be more difficult, but I but dont worry thats only 6 or 8 years off…..maybe

5. bos says:

“Sleep data is not enough to keep the Trixie Update running forever.” TTUÂ’s popularity is much more than the sum of gathered statisti. From the posts to TPOD captions to the comments, the humor keeps me coming back for more! Spose for fun you could feed my cell phone RSS style…

6. jj says:

shhhh – don’t tell anybody – but “the chart on the left” is actually on the right. shhh – I won’t tell if they won’t.

7. Judy says:

Ben, thank you (and Jenn) for everything you have done. I have so enjoyed keeping up with you day after day, and with my own two (almost 6 years and a 9 month old), they don’t tire me out nearly as much as keeping up with Trixie (and your site – what a commitment!).

Congratulations to all of you for surviving and successfully accomplishing the first two years. Here’s to MANY more to come!

8. joe says:

Since TPOD is where all the action is these days, can you set up an RSS feed for it?

Thanks!

9. Rachel says:

When’s the next kiddo coming along?

10. Valerie says:

I’ve been wondering the same thing, maybe you could do a poll about what is the best age gap between children (assuming you want more than one.) My husband and I are still trying to decide: should we have them close together or far apart?

11. Carrie says:

I have to agree with the PP that your stats have certainly helped this new parent see that there is a light at the end of the tunnell. I’m so impressed! Wish I could find a way to keep track like that but I’m not techno-savvy.

Um, there is one way.

And on the subject of second kids and reasons for a lull in blogging…

click whoring.

You’ll always have a spot up near the top of my blogroll, Ben, Jen, and Trixie.

–FD

14. Rozanne says:

FrumDad, I *had* wondered what had happened to you. Congratulations on your new baby boy!

Congratulations! You’re braver than I am!

16. Susan says:

Tell me Trixie is not potty trained at 18 months?!?!?! If so, you are my hero. :)

She was heading down the road, but wasn’t there yet. By 24 months she was.