Hoping for Bronze

How many times have you gotten your foot stuck in the toilet? If you’re like me — a responsible adult — the answer is probably no more than 1-2 times a year. In contrast, Trixie manages to do it about once a week.

This stems from her unbelievable sense of independence. She absolutely refuses to accept any help from either of us for anything, except of course, when she wants to be to picked up. Apparently she still requires our help on that one.

Because of this independent streak, the toilet situation is getting pretty frustrating. She has to pull down the potty seat herself, open the toilet herself, place the seat up herself. You get the picture. Heaven forbid we try to simply turn on the light so she can see what she’s doing — she’ll start screaming,”mNO, mNooooo!!!!!!!” and collapse into a sobbing mess.

She also insists on climbing up on the potty seat herself. The potty seat isn’t a super tight fit, and there’s a lot of shifting. It’s like a cross between a cat trying to drink out of the toilet and a gymnast working on the pommel horse. Usually Trixie can get a 9.1 or 9.2. But when one foot slips in the bowl, you have to deduct points.

The good news? The dismount is a lot easier. She sticks every landing.

This entry was posted in Behavior. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Hoping for Bronze

1. 2 girl daddy says:

She is an independant, above-average, first born, leading girl…got one exactly like her at our house!! Makes me feel better she screams and falls on the floor, we have had a lot of that recently!!!! Just wait till she says to you, “you need me to wipe you daddy?” Thanks, kid, but I got this one….!

2. Jamie says:

It’s always the East German judges that deduct the most points for the potty foot. One thing you might try is putting snow shoes on her so that her feet won’t fit in the bowl. Makes other things difficult, but those are the breaks.

3. Judy says:

Oh, Jamie, I was thinking skis! HAHA

Potty foot is still better than potty pants!

4. Hank says:

Just be thankful (and I know you are) that you’re only dealing with potty seat issues. We’re knee-deep in potty training my son (who’s A YEAR OLDER than your Trixie, by the way), and it’s the most draining experience imaginable. Our five-year-old daughter got through it in a snap, but the boy is challenging, to say the least. I’ll be doing cartwheels when he gets to the “foot in toilet” stage.

5. Evan Satoru says:

I haven’t reached the potty training stage. At 4 months old, I’m still filling my diapers then peeing as soon as they’re removed.

6. Jordansmom says:

This might help: I bought Jordan a “royal fanfare” potty chair (available at Walmart and almost everywhere else) and the seat fits on the toilet very snugly….doesn’t move at all.

7. Valerie says:

This may be a dumb question, but do you give her a stool to step up to the toilet? Otherwise that’s a big stretch, especially climbing onto something that’s not very sturdy.

8. Dina says:

I’ve watched my three year-old son’s gymnastics moves as he climbs onto the potty and it’s impressive. I can only imagine that Trixie’s moves are equally fun to watch. I would also imagine that with a daughter there’s a 98% chance that once she gets up there, the pee will go into the potty. Once we finally mastered sitting on the potty, our son decided that he only wants to pee standing up. The toilets at school (daycare) are little but we didn’t remodel our bathroom with a toddler potty so he barely reaches the rim. As if that wasn’t enough of a challenge, he’s easily distracted and is constantly turning to look at things. I guess it’s all part of the learning process and another reason for not putting in a new floor until he’s older.

One thing that has helped a little is our light sensitive nightlight. I think I bought it at Target for around $1.00. It’s great because you don’t have to turn it off or on.

9. Dry Foot says:

So if we don’t end up with our foot in a toilet 1-2 times a year does that make us irresponsible? I’m just kidding around about that. Seriously, how do you get your foot stuck in the toilet? Is it a guy thing? or A Trixie foot rescue thing? I can’t believe kids end up like that. Then again my daughter is only 1, so I might be in for a shock.

Thanks for the laughs!

10. Peggy says:

Ummm. Remember the portable plastic potty from the Once Upon a Potty book? Great design. One lived in our living room for a while. Some might find that a bit gross but I thought it had a calming, “I can handle this in my own time” air about it. Sometimes height and flushing and separate room are all too much to handle while learning.

When sickness came the futon mattress and the potty went into the living room for a bit.

It’s all good. Calm is good. Sleep is good.