Knock, knock

Trixie has been babbling so much lately that it’s easy to forgot that she has none of our shared verbal cultural history. You discover her earnest shortcomings on a fairly regular basis when you just slip into casual conversation. The latest incident was my attempt to tell Trixie a joke:

I say, “Knock, knock.”

Trixie’s got nothing.

“Trixie, say ‘who’s there?’, Ok? I’ll do it again.”

“Knock, knock”

Still nothing.

I fill in for her. ” Knock, knock. Who’s there?”

Trixie has plenty to say about that:
“MOMMY! MOMMMMMMY!!!”

Trixie will run around screaming Mommy for five minutes. That’s the sign of a very good joke. And it’s flexible. If Jenn is the one telling it, the punchline switches to “DADDY!” If you like edgier humor, the punchline is also sometimes “JUICE!” Need to clean it up because you’re telling the joke in front of the grandparents? Try “ELMO!” The only thing you can’t do with this joke it get to the real punchline. But that’s ok, she doesn’t really care about oranges and bananas anyway*.

*Orange you glad you’re not a banana.

This entry was posted in Language. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Knock, knock

1. Gail says:

be careful, my two year old says this joke:
    Toddler: “Knock Knock.”
    You: “Whos there?”
    Toddler “Boo.”
    You: “Boo Who?”
    Toddler: “No Cry!!”( Don’t Cry!)
    Everyone: Baaaaaa haaaaaaaa
    And now when I say, “Don’t Cry” to him or anyone (including our baby) he laughs hysterically.

2. Laura says:

“Orange you glad you’re not a banana”

Groan…

You’ve got to get the Trixster on audio. We miss the audio segments!

3. Judy says:

Yuk, yuk, yuk!!!

Love it!

4. Wendy says:

Just wait ’til you say “Knock, knock” and she repeats it and as much as you tell her she is SUPPOSED to say “Who’s there,” she will only repeat whatever you say. That’s when you really have to watch what kinds of phrases you use. My bad one is “Crap” and my 23 month old says it EVERY time I say it or someone else does. Oops!

Another fun game for 22 month olds: Hide and Seek. I count to 5; Maddie hides (always in the same place, by the way). I pretend to look for her in odd places. She can’t stand the suspense and comes screaming out of her hiding place. Maddie counts to 5 (…two…four…five…), while watching me hide. She comes barreling to me, laughing gleefully. This can go on forever.

6. mamma of another trixie says:

the best kids’ joke, one they get early on, is “why was six afraid of seven?”

because seven eight nine.

my trixie’s 7.5 and she’s moved on to bad puns and monster jokes. and mojo (her 2yo brother) isn’t there yet, although he can say, “gimme five, too slow!” as he pulls his hand away. he learned that trick from trix.

7. V.H. says:

My husband and I taught our daughter our last name by asking her her name. She’d reply “Lily.” We’d ask “Lily who?” She’d reply “Lily Huffalump.” (last name changed). Unfortunately, when we started with the knock knock jokes, her reply to “Orange who?” was “orange huffalump.” Everyone laughs so she figures she must be getting it right. :)

What’s up with Trixie staying up so late last night? She’s not sick again , is she? (Sleep comments wouldn’t let me in…sorry.)

Thanks for the head’s up on the sleep comments. It’s fixed now.

As for her late schedule, Trixie isn’t sick. We were out taking care of some stuff and it took a lot longer than we thought. And then, even after we got home she wouldn’t go to sleep. We missed her “sleep window” and she got a second wind. It was pretty exhausting.

10. Nina says:

Working as a child photographer (i’ve quit now) I used alot of the knock knock jokes and the one the kids like best was “Knock Knock” “who’s there?” “Dwayne” “Dwayne who” DWWAAYYNNE DA TUB I’M DWOONNING” Ok that looks awful spelt out Dwooning is drowning with a speech impediment. Oi I killed it… Just say it outloud! 7 year olds love it!

11. kat says:

Thanks for the jokes…keep ‘em coming!

12. My favorite joke — also a big hit among the 8-10 set — is
    Knock knock.
    Who’s there?
    Interrupting cow.
    Inter-
    MOOOOOOO!

Cracks me up EVERY time. However. my wife is SOOOO sick of it. :)

13. DavidNYC says:

Heh. I had forgotten about the interrupting cow. I love her.

BTW, you all seriously need to check out The Sneeze’s “Jokes from the Booster Seat.” Surreal.

14. Jeremiah Lee says:

My daughter is too young for many jokes right now (although she laughs plenty), but here’s one of my favorites:

“What’s grey and powedery?”
    “I dunno.”
    “Instant elephant.”

Now, I’ll admit that most people don’t find it funny, but I just love it.

15. Allison says:

This post reminded me that Trixie isn’t superbaby. Even if she is adorable, brilliant, well behaved, she can’t do EVERYTHING.

I don’t know. I just found that comforting. I was a little intimidated by the atomic baby.

16. Alex's mom says:

My sister and I just remembered this one..
    Pete and Repeat were in a boat. Pete fell off. Who was left? Repeat.

17. Michelle says:

My son, who is 4.5 loves to tell knock knock jokes. He looks around the room to fill in the blanks…
    “Knock, Knock”
    “Who’s there?”
    “Pig”
    “Pig who?”
    “Pig Banana Cake!”

After we tried to explain why knock knock jokes are funny, he feels obliged to explain his when they are over..
    the explanation for pig banana cake, is that it’s funny because the pig is in the banana cake!

18. cgarrett says:

My son’s favorite (His name is Jordan, you’ll need to know this later)

Knock Knock
    Who’s there?
    Apple.
    Apple who?
    Apple Jordan.

(Substitute “apple” for banana or any other fruit, and you have endless possibilities. Most of which he has tried. I especially love it when he slaps his knee like it’s the first time he’s ever told it.

19. giddy says:

When my 5-y-o tells a joke, she prefaces it by saying, “When I’m done asking the question, you have to say ‘I don’t know’” (again showing that she doesn’t have that cultural understanding that we all know how to respond when asked the beginning of a joke!). Her favorite is:

Why did the toilet paper roll down the hill?
    To get to the BOTTOM! [points at bottom]

I’ve realized from jokes she’s invented with the same punchline that she doesn’t actually get the pun here, she just thinks it’s funny because you say “bottom.” Her versions might be “Why did the ball roll down the hill” etc.

I also loved when my 3-y-o nephew would do:

Knock, knock
    Who’s there?
    Amos
    Amos who?
    “Amos the mosquito bit me!!”

It’s almost sad when they figure it out!

20. Chari says:

just found your website while looking for knock knock jokes for my 5 year old son, and had one to add to your list that he really likes.

knock knock

who’s there?

cargo

cargo who?

car go beep

21. chari says:

actually the punch line is…

car go beep beep

sorry

22. ines says:

knock know

whos there?

Justin

Justin who?

Just in time to tickle you.

we have to do this joke about 100 times a day with my 3 year old.