TRIT-see

I don’t know whether it was the socialization and daily exposure to other talking children in daycare or if it just happened to coincide with her natural pace of development, but Trixie vocalizes all the time now.

We’re relieved. When Trixie turned one year old without talking we were a little worried. But over the past 7 months, our concerns about her language skills diminished because she’s doing most of the other stuff she’s supposed to, and, well, life goes on. Even though it’s not ‘normal’ for her to talk so late, there are plenty of anecdotal accounts about how so-and-so’s child didn’t talk until he was 11, and he turned out fine. He’s down at the docks, go ask him yourself.

In the meantime, we’re enjoying a daily barrage of words like “dog”, “woof”, “bat” (courtesy Sesame Street’s the Count) and her all time favorite, “baby.” Trixie loves babies to no end, and there’s no end to the number of times she’ll chant “Bay BEE!” over and over again while wildly rocking her arms back and forth.

However, the most interesting development happened yesterday when I realized Trixie was identifying herself for the first time. She doesn’t grab hold of her name the way she does the word baby, and drive it into the ground. It’s a more cautious, quiet embrace of the word, as if she’s pretty sure she’s Trixie — but not totally 100% sure.

This entry was posted in Language. Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to TRIT-see

1. kari says:

how adorable!!! it has been amazing to see how much trixie has grown up, i’m glad she’s not quite there yet though.

2. haeshu says:

that is awesome ben! does she ever trit-see her TPODs? does she ever really look at the site?

Hooray for TRIT-see! The acquisition of language has been the most fun to watch for my husband and me. (And for Maddie, too, I suspect, as she gleefully points out everyone’s bottom and hollers, “HEINIE!”)

4. Christy says:

That is so cute. My daughter Megan (17 mos) is trying to say her name too. She’s getting close. It comes out like Me-nan. It’s so much fun to watch them learn.

5. Michele says:

OMG! They’re supposed to say recognizable words at 12 months?! And here I was, just worried about Sabrina walking by then. Oh man, benmac, you’ve added a whole new dimension of worry!

PS- Just kidding. Though I can’t help comparing and contrasting her to other babies, Hubby and I try to take it in stride. There is no shouting of “WALK! DAMN YOU!” in our house. Unless I’m talking to the cat.

6. kat says:

When kiddo#1 was just learning words, he would love to point to himself and say his name. It was very cute.

7. jj says:

One of my favorite memories of my baby son (he’s in the Marines now!) is waking up to the sound of him lying in his babybed, looking up at his animal mobile, saying, “Cow …..moooooooo …… duck……quack quack! …. horse …….. neeeeeeigh.” So sweet and precious. I hated when he started kindergarten – I felt stupid watching Sesame Street alone. lol

8. fred says:

The Count taught me to say “bat,” too. Unfortunately, then I pestered my mom for one for the next twenty-six years and counting.

9. Kimberly says:

lol, Ben. Love the new “Tritsee” graphic!

10. Count's greatest fan says:

I just loved the Count! I have no idea if he taught me the word ‘bat’, but I know he taught me how to count. I ended up counting everything – even the number of peas on my plate. It drove my parents crazy!

11. Mary says:

Is this loving babies thing something that 18-month-olds are into? I have a 4-month-old, and kids that age – up to 2 years – come up to us ALL THE TIME saying ‘bay-bee bay-bee’. Maybe it’s that they’re damn happy to get out of that baby stage and be able to look at where they once were and remind themselves of how far they’ve come. I’m so curious about this….

12. Suzanne says:

I’m so happy to hear about this latest development! Our pediatrician assured us Sagan would start talking eventually because his own son didn’t start until he was 18 months old. Well, Sagan turns 3 in April and is in speech therapy. He talks all the time now, we just have a hard time figuring out what he’s saying!
    Thankfully, Bodhi is vocalizing much more than Sagan ever did. Maybe we won’t have the same issue with him.

13. lori says:

I love Sesame Street!…althought I haven’t seen it in 20+ years…since I was a kid. I grew up on Sesame Street and contribute a lot of my early education from all the characters. I love that Trixie and so many of her “friends” are enjoying the same pure TV programing I watched when I was their age.

14. John says:

Colum still calls himself “you.” And even though he was an early talker, his daddy was not- I didn’t say a word till I was nearly two years old.

It would be cool to get a microphone or use the built-in mic on your iMac and record Trit-see saying her name.

15. Collagist says:

Baby is definitely the favorite word for one of our girls. However she chants it something like “bAAAY bi”. It would be really cool that if you can get a small movie clip of Trixie talking. I am sure she does the head nodding along with rocking arms back and forth while saying Bay BEE. Just curious whether Trixie read/babble (or pretend that she knows reading) while moving her finger left to right on a book?

16. Kelli says:

Ohhhh…the Trit-see thing is killing me with cuteness. I’d really like a sound clip too. 🙂

17. jennifer says:

hey ben, are you going to put up a recording of her talking? i recorded callie on an old school tape recorder when she was about 18 mos old and she loves to listen to it. (well i must admit, i do to 🙂 )

18. Rozanne says:

So has Trixie started saying “no” yet? My son (two weeks younger than Trixie) just added it to his repertoire, and it’s definitely his favorite word.

19. her says:

What a great way to put it: “a quiet embrace of the word.” That moment of knowing you are something, an entity, a someone. How…. there is no word for it.

20. Jaynee says:

Glad to hear that Trixie is talking more! Now the fun begins – you have to start watching what you say because she’ll become a parrot around you.

Olivia is a pro at calling out to her brother (Duncan), but when I try to get her to say her name, she says, “Bee-yuh” or “Me” (she’s good at pointing to herself and saying “me”). A girl she plays with at church calls her “Dahlia”, which I love and may name my next daughter (should I fortunate enough to have one).

21. Summer says:

Jaynee,
    The parrot things we can relate to! Autumn (20 months) repeats everything we say. Which doesn’t worry me because we don’t say anything bad… but my husband taught her a new word.. “whazzup” and “whazzup dog” 🙂 So cute to hear her say it. I heard her say it one morning when she woke up! Another morning she said “mama whistles” then blow air through her mouth in an attempt to whistle! So fun!
    Oh also, her new thing is trying to “hide” by covering her face and saying “where’s autumn?” so i’ll say it, then uncovering them and saying “boo!”

All: You guys have spoken. I’ll see about the sound clip.

haeshu: She recognizes herself in the TPODs, but she hasn’t pointed and said her name yet.

Collagist: Trixie likes to grab books, but doesn’t pretend to read them yet.

Rozanne: She doesn’t say “no” yet.

23. Michele says:

To the poster who asked if all kids Trixie’s age love babies. In my experience, I’d have to say YES! I can’t tell you how many toddlers just adore my 9mo old daughter when they see her in a store or something. Boys and Girls, but mostly girls as the kids get past 5 or so. And my 3 year old niece goes positively ape***t when she’s around Sabrina. She keeps making the sign for “baby” over and over again.

24. cynfred says:

I think its so cute when kids get so excited about babies. Its good that Trixie knows her name too. I didn’t know my American name when I started school and the teachers thought I was deaf. ‘

Michele I think its great that your niece is doing signs. How fast did she pick it up?

25. katymac says:

Yeah- I’m so excited for her. Can’t wait to hear it for my self. Miss yall

26. Michele says:

[b] Cynfred: [/b] My niece is 80% deaf so sign language is her primary means of communication. I She’s slated to get cochlear implants in her ears sometime this year, so that should effect a HUGE change in her hearing.

27. Jaynee says:

“No” is Olivia’s new word as of this weekend. I gotta nip that one in the bud quickly.

28. Whitney says:

What a cute blog! Stumbled across you tonight via the NYT article – I’m sorry I missed the running of the diaper tracker!

My son has just started talking at 15 1/2 months – we were in such a hurry to get him to talk and now he won’t shut up. “No-no-no” is a favorite – what were we thinking.

29. tj says:

When my sister finally started talking she would just go on and on and on. One day, my mom had had it and asked her to be quiet for at least 30 minutes. Reply from the two-year old: “But Mommy, I just can’t help it!” That was 33 years ago, and yes, she’s still talking.

30. lori says:

TRIT-see…that’s so cute! These next few years are going to be fun, hearing how she sounds out her words…and the new words she makes up for the ones she can’t pronounce just yet. It’s almost like they come up with their own language.

My name is a little difficult to pronounce (the L’s) for some kids. I was called “Oreo” by my younger brother, “Glory” by my little brother (the song Gloria was popular in the 80’s) and “Wory” from the little boy I babysat.

The names kids come up with can be so precious! Looking forward to hearing/reading more about TRIT-see’s new vocabulary.

31. We noticed that our youngest kids vocalized better than the older ones at an earlier age – having siblings to emulate made a world of difference.

32. Sarah says:

Ben,
    This is your most entertaining entry to date! Have emailed it to all friends with kids. Now I know why I finally deleted my 4 day long blog of my life. It takes talent to make it something others, and myself, WANT to read!

33. Sarah says:

Oops…not that THIS day wasn’t interesting. However, I picked the wrong day to respond to. I will go to March 28th and repost.
    Now you know why…