Beware Toddlers Bearing Gifts

This morning as I was washing dishes, Trixie came into the kitchen carrying a used diaper, flapping in her outstretched arms. I jumped to get it from her, not knowing where she had found it or what might be inside.

Upon closer inspection it wasn’t a used diaper at all. It appeared to be a brand new diaper that she had simply unfolded and brought in to show me. But where did she get it from? “Trixie, did you get this out of the diaper bag?” She nods. Mystery solved and I’ll move the diaper bag off the floor.

About 45 minutes later, I lift Trixie out of her high chair and realize her pajamas are sopping wet. Considering all she had in front of her was a pimento cheese sandwich and a sippy cup, I was pretty confused. What in the hell spilled? And why was it only on her backside and the highchair seat, and not in her lap??

I begin taking off her pajamas and discover her onesie is unsnapped. Then I discover she’s not wearing a diaper either! Trixie has gotten really, really good at zippers, buttons, snaps, locks and the like.

We constantly have to go in and zip her pajamas back up when putting her to bed. We thought she would learn to stop doing it. Instead, I think she learned that unzipped pajamas are a big red flag. Today she must have unzipped, unsnapped, taken off her diaper (sometime right after I changed her because it was totally clean) and zipped back up. It was the perfect crime. Then she even went so far as to bring the evidence directly to me. Diabolical.

This entry was posted in Behavior. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Beware Toddlers Bearing Gifts

1. haeshu says:

ha ha! clever girl trixie! sounds like you will have to start stiching her pjs closed (is that illegal??). maybe this is just her way of paying you back for feeding her pimento cheese sandwiches…

Yes!!!!! That’s great news. I was worried Trixie was losing her mischief – has been awhile since she pulled an antic like this. I guess climibing out of the crib is pretty good, although not as good as climbing on the table or in the fridge. We need a crime scene photo of this please! Trixie continues to fight the oppression of parental confines – and I guess you will continue to fight back – time to brandish the duck tape.

Was so excited about Trixie’s misdeed that I forgot to voice my approval of her diet – love it that you’re feeding her pimenacheese sandwiches. It’s official, you’re never going back to NYC now.

4. Camille says:

Ahahaha, that’s a great story.

When my daughter was close to Trixie’s age she somehow got her diaper unfastened and pulled down around her leg when she was buckled in the carseat and fully clothed. How she did it still baffles me.

5. lori says:

Maybe this could be a sign that Trixie is fed up with the diapers and is ready for some serious potty training? (I just realized I’ve never spelled “potty” before and it seemed weird to me.) Wishful thinking…

I think Lori’s hit it on the head. She needed to go potty and even brought you her diaper to let you know. However, we parents aren’t too bright and sometimes miss the cues. Trixie is very advanced.

And I miss pimiento cheese sandwiches. You can’t buy pimiento cheese up here in Washington state.

7. brian says:

Pimento cheese? is that a NC thing?

8. champ says:

a friend of mine had to start to putting her son’s pj’s on backwards. my son is 21 months and i haven’t had to try it yet!

9. Kelli says:

Thanks for the chuckle…I needed that! I agree with others above that it sounds like more serious potty training might be in order for Miss Trixie! Hopefully it won’t take too long for her to catch on, since she’s already shown interest in the past. So, Ben, when are you planning to start potty telemetry? 😉

10. Jamie says:

You’d think there would be a market for pajamas with zippers in the back for this very reason. You can always try one of those luggage locks.

11. joe says:

You should turn her sleepers inside out, so it’s hard to access the zipper-pull (if it isn’t too sharp against her skin).

12. Becca says:

So does that not technically qualify as a diaper leak?

13. Ann says:

Kelli’s right! Potty telemetry is brilliant! Is there a way to incorporate it (hits and misses) with the diaper count?

14. MeanMom says:

as much as it may sound to other people like this is the perfect time to start potty training, keep in mind that most kids who start on their own at this age revert after a month or so…

15. Heather says:

I laughed so hard milk shot out my nose! That is hysterical! You’ve got a wild one. Can you imagaine what she’ll do when she’s a teenager?!

16. Maureen says:

Two words: duct tape. ;-)-

17. kristi says:

diabolical indeed! i was hoping for a playdate with Trixie and my daughter, who is just 2 mo older, but now i think there’d be way too much mischief making. my daughter does the same thing! putting her diaper and pjs on backward didn’t work. glad to see i’m not the only one who has considered duct tape. =)

I had no idea pimento cheese would generate so much discussion. Is it a regional thing? I thought everyone knew about it. In case you don’t know what it is, it’s a lumpy spread who’s main ingredient is the color orange.

I have not been tracking potty telemetry for Trixie, but it will be built into Trixie Tracker. She’s still making slow but steady progress. In addition to the diaperless accident, she went in the potty three times yesterday. She still wears a diaper all the time. Well, at least she would have me believe she does.

I wasn’t sure how to count the accident since technically there wasn’t a diaper involved. It’s a limitation of the current Trixie Telemetry code that is being addressed in the new code.

I was thinking duct tape, but I wanted some back-up on that decision. Thanks for the green light:)

19. lori says:

benmac: It’s probably a little late in the game for this, but I’ve always been curious on the average number of diapers Trixie goes thru per day. The Diaper Log show the current daily count, but do you also keep a historical record so you know how many she uses each day? So, hopefully, as she gets older and potty training improves & becomes successful, we should see a decline in the number of diapers per day…that is, if the count isn’t thrown off by the diapers Trixie “changes” herself!

Pimento cheese is definitely regional. But yankees love it, given the chance to try it (kind of like Krispy Kremes). But they call it puh-MINT-toe cheese, in my experience, instead of the correct p’menAHH cheese. Hmm . . . I wonder how pimento cheese on a bagel would go over?

21. Diane says:

Put her clothes on backwards,ecspecially at night.

Also, if a toddler brings you a gift,it’s more than likely a hint.

If they bring you a bottle(or in your case,a sippy cup) then they’re thirsty.

If they start beating on the table,they want food.

If they start crying pathetcally it means they’re sleepy or sick.

If they walk into the kitchen with a diaper,it means ‘ put it on me’.

Little kids are a lot of things and they are certainly direct and succint(not sure if I’m spelling this right).

Be glad that Trixie is that smart,though. Maybe she’ll become a secret agent when she grows up and will pick locks for a living. 🙂

22. yvonne says:

oh my god trixie sounds adorable and you… well my gosh such incredible wit and observation.. once again another self centered human being.. instead of wasting your time on this website..why not volunteer your services to help unfortunate children….I have never logged on to a blog like this and I never will again..time to vomit….a single mom

Ok, I don’t think you really get our priorities here. Now, if there is some unfortunate data out there that hasn’t yet been crunched, then, yes, I would like to help.

24. Becky says:

Wow. Not to be overly mean, but I think we are better off without Yvonne. Maybe she was just in a bad mood that day?

25. lori says:

Not sure yvonne read Trixie Update 101, as was suggested AND as she should have. If she did, then she *might* have gotten the idea behind TTU. Her loss.

26. amy says:

Hoo-ray for duct tape! May not completely stop her, but should slow her down, at least. 😉

27. haeshu says:

ouch yvonne. i think it is blatantly obvious that all the work ben is doing is for trixie and that she will love being able to look back on her childhood with such incredible detail AND have a wonderful record of how her parents thought about her and how she changed their life. im pretty certain that there is no “waste” in any parent staying home and raising their children.

28. haeshu says:

ironically, i had my first pimento cheese sandwich today. not that bad!

29. Mike Cannon says:

Yvonne, you have my sympathies. How could you be so crass as to attack a site like this? Trixie is a daily delight to me. You really should have therapy.

30. Raquel says:

Maybe you should use the duct tape on Yvonne! I love this site – i was away from my computer for 3 months and couldn’t wait to get back to see trixie.

31. Raquel says:

Pimiento Cheese sandwiches are definitely an acquired taste! One which I have not acquired after 14 plus years of Southern living!!