A little something extra

A bunch of people have been asking to hear Trixie’s voice. And Sarah had again suggested a story about our ‘typical’ day. How about we put those two together? There’s only one catch — it’s not going to be on the Trixie Update. Instead you’ll have to watch MSNBC.

We’re super excited to announce that a segment about the Trixie Update is currently scheduled to air this Friday on “Countdown with Keith Olbermann”.

Right now it’s scheduled to air Friday, Jan 28, 8pm EST. Countdown broadcasts live in all time zones, so that’s 5pm for the west coast. And we’re the second half of the show, so it will actually be 8:30-9:00 EST. This could all change at any time, but I’ll post an update here if it does.

We’ve had a camera crew in the house since 7:00am this morning up until a little while ago. Trixie just collapsed into a nap, dead tired from all the extra (and fun) stimulation. And I still can’t believe it, but I wanted to go ahead and share the news. Also, thanks to everyone for visiting and for all your comments. You helped make this happen 🙂

This entry was posted in Site News. Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to A little something extra

1. haeshu says:

congratulations to trixie, ben and jenn!!! that is so awesome! we cant wait to see the footage!!

2. Jenie says:

Yay!!! I’m so excited for you guys!! Congratulations!! I will so be setting up the recorder…I can’t wait to see it!!

3. Ariel says:

We don’t own a TV, but I’d LOVE to see a digital clip if someone can manage to get one. 🙂 Congrats!

4. Kelli says:

Wow!!! Celebrity Trixie – not that she hasn’t already been a celebrity in the blogosphere and newspapers, radios, magazines – but this is the official television debut, isn’t it? I will definitely watch! Very cool.

5. lori says:

WOW, a segment on a major TV channel! You do *know* what that means, right? You’re BIG TIME now. That’s wonderful! You know we’ll all be glued to our TV sets this Friday night. I bet you were just chomping at the bit to share this with us. Congratulations!

P.S. It will be interesting to see the before & after of the geographic poll (or website hits) after your story airs.

Congratulations! Maddie and I will give up Barney on PBSKids for Trixie on Friday!

7. Heather says:

That’s awesome! Will we get to see what you look like too? I’ve seen photos of Jen, but I don’t know what Ben looks like.

8. Kelli says:

There are several pics of Ben throughout the TPODs – here’s the URL for one of them:
    November 23, 2003

9. Becky says:

Holy cow! Congratulations! See if I ever leave my computer for an hour and a half again. I checked at 2:00 and everything was normal, then next time I turn around you’re on TV! I will set my VCR to tape it as soon as I get home tonight so I will be sure not to miss it. 🙂

I can’t even imagine how excited you are. Does Trixie even begin to grasp the concept of “being on TV”? I imagine for her it’s not much more exciting than a home video, although she must sense the hype with the camera crew, etc., right?

10. John says:

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Congratulations.

Did you thank Ken for all the excellent coverage he did on the voting problems after the election? Between that bravery and covering the Trixe Update, he almost makes me want to watch t.v. news.

11. John says:

And of course, I called him Ken, which I always want to do, even though know full well his name is Keith. If only there were some way of previewing my comments first…

12. Rose says:

Congrats Ben and Jen on your new adventure on TV this week.

13. Jamie says:

Wow, nice! I’ll set my TiVo. Did they contact you about doing the story?

14. As a former television news producer I can tell you… that is one of the few good news programs on television. Sure, it’s flashy but it’s GOOD. They cover great stories and I have no doubt that yours will rank right up there.

15. aidens momma says:

ooooh congrats!! im just sad that we dont get MSNBC here. i think we get a grand total of four channels (as my husband routinely complains about). but its what we get for living in the boonies.

so how about a clip of it on here?? pretty pretty pleaaase!!!

16. Summer says:

That’s so exciting! I hope i can tape it and get it correctly. It’ll be great to see Trixie “live” and not just in photos because photos don’t capture everything that a video does. WOW!!!

17. JoAnn says:

I’ve been a lurker here for over a year now. I thought I’d better post a comment before the site becomes inundated! It’s so exciting to see how this site went from a mention on iVillage (where I found it) to the national news!

Congrats!

18. John says:

It’s interesting to think back to a year ago. Here’s the MetaFilter thread from last March – before Trixie was an international superstar.

19. Marna says:

This is the first time I have commented on anything. My husband found you first and now you are on my bookmarks that I lood at daily. I will set up the TiVo for the time. I can’t wait to see the story. Thank you for your diligence on bringing all of us this information.

Marna

p.s. I have a 7 month old that loves to roll all over the place.

20. tj says:

How cool ist THAT???!!! COngratulations!
    Now, just make sure you don’t get too famous and busy (hopefully rich, though) so you’d have to hire a nanny to take care of Trixie!

21. Dave says:

Tivo set! WOW. Congrats, you and her deserve it.

22. Lynne says:

That’s so cool! Congratulations! Will definitely be tuning in on Friday. Can’t wait!

23. Julie says:

Congrats !!! I’m just a little sad though because I’m one of those who requested more Trixie sounds, and I won’t even be able to see the show…. We don’t have it here in France :o(
    But that’s really fantastic for you guys !!!

24. Malinda says:

Congrats I can’t wait to watch it and i am making sure i have the reminder set on the comcast cable box i cant wait.

25. Dave says:

Ben, has she started saying a few words? Anything on camera?

26. Jenn's Papa says:

Wow! As Andy Warhol said, “we will all get our 15 minutes of fame”; Trixie, Ben and Jenn will get twice that on Friday and this is just the beginning!

27. Nina says:

Wow, I knew talk shows were next on trixie’s agenda. This is pretty exciteing isn’t it? Could you mention us…all your fans, on the show? haha Just kidding, the airtime isn’t long enough to mention her drones of fans.

I can’t wait to see it!! Way to go Ben Jenn and Trixie!!

28. Summer says:

Also, get ready for all the traffic you’re going to get from everyone new seeing the show Friday! Thousands and thousands i’m sure!

29. Nina says:

Im sorry I post twice so much but I was wondering, do you get paid to be on the show? How does that work? How much do you get? Im just curious.

We’re exhausted and going to bed soon (if we can get Trixie to bed:), but here’s a little more information:

I know what it’s like to not have cable — we don’t have it. We’re watching it somewhere else. Hopefully this is enough warning to maybe visit a friend’s house on Friday. MSNBC might have clips on their site come Friday, but I don’t know for sure. Their URL is: http://countdown.msnbc.com/

If I’m able to post any clips or screengrabs from the show I will. But with copyright and a large corporation, you never know what will happen.

I did not meet Keith Olbermann. I haven’t seen the show before (because of the cable thing) but I have enjoyed his online column and blogging. I was interviewed by Monica Novotny, who was very nice and I really enjoyed the whole experience.

There is no money involved. We’re just honored and flattered that they wanted to do a piece about us.

Jamie >>Did they contact you about doing the story?
    Are you asking if a camera crew just showed up unannounced at 7 in the morning!? No, they have been extremely professional every step of the way. We were contacted last Thursday.

And yes, if the site crashes Friday, you’ll know what’s up:)

31. kristi says:

omigosh – congratulations!! should we TTU locals have a big premiere party?! i know you didn’t start the site with this kind of goal in mind, but the recognition for your hard work, parenting, and humor is certainly nice. so excited for you; no one is more deserving!

32. aimee says:

This is great, Congratulations! This is my first post, but I’ve emailed you before to suggest video clips on the site. Now I get to see you all on TV, how cool! Will Trixie stay up to watch herself on TV? I’d love to see her reaction…

33. Rae says:

Can you believe it??? This is unbelievably cool! Congratulations!

I won’t be able to see it either. 🙁 So PLEASE give us lots of details the next day! PLEASE!

Can’t express my delight enough!

34. Rozanne says:

Add me to the list of excited and delighted Trixie fans! I can’t wait to see the show tomorrow night. I’ve already Tivo-ed it.

MR. MAC – do you care to respond to Kristi’s comment that: “i know you didn’t start the site with this kind of goal in mind”? . . .

36. Y says:

Am I the only one who thinks all this “fame” is kind of sad? I have never once posted because I always felt I was not in the “inner circle” to post. Something nice about all those who really know her doing the posting. Now those days are over and even I am finally posting. (A sister of a friend, of a friend…not inner circle at all!) I feel sad about it, but I am a sentimental fool, I guess!

37. Camille says:

Congratulations! I won’t be able to watch since we don’t get cable, a digital clip would be great though! 🙂

38. Sylvie says:

Wow! Exciting news! Though I agree with several other posters that I feel an element of sadness that what seems like a little community will now be opened up to huge new audience (even though it *is* cable). I discovered your site when Trixie was about 6 mos. old and have lurked in fascination nearly daily since then. I’m so impressed with your parenting and your web artistry. Please don’t “go Hollywood” on us. Though, a trip to Chicago (and Oprah) might be nice.

Personally, I’m hoping for *Ellen* as opposed to Oprah. Although both of them give great gifts, sometimes.

40. Karen says:

Another long time lurker, first time poster, who just wanted to say “I love The Trixie Update” before the MSNBC exposure.

I found you via the Metafilter link last year. My 2 year old DD and I check out the TPOD each day to talk about what Trixie is doing.

Milk week is a wonderful testament to Jen’s pumping/producing/feeding, your tracking/cleaning/feeding and Trixie’s eating/growning.

I was overjoyed when I finally figured out that Frank is an ugly doll. I had no idea what he was, just that he was super cute and I wanted one.

Best wishes.

Holy Toledo!

1) Congratulations.

2) Ah-OOoooh-ga! Ah-OOooh-ga! Brace for incoming traffic. Ben, you might want to heads-up your service provider. Everybody else, brace for a (hopefully brief, see point 4) signal-noise ratio dip.

3) Ben — I think it would be nice if you put up a Trixie-Tracker plug/update bit in the inevitable “Welcome Countdown Viewers” post.

4) Y — don’t feel bad, and (if I may be so bold) don’t feel disentitled to comment. I came to this particular party earlier than some, but later than many, and I never felt like it wasn’t my place to comment… as long as I had something productive and/or nice to say. (Though I admit sometimes I get a little contrary.) With all the traffic this site already gets, there is (don’t jinx it) a startling dearth of spam and troll action, and as long as a comment doesn’t drop the signal/noise ratio I don’t think the community here will object. — And make no mistake, it really is a community, geographically disparate as we apparently are.

I can’t speak for BenMac on this, but I’d guess he’s of the same or similar opinion. Besides, if *he* doesn’t like a comment, he can make it go away.

Every time there’s been media coverage so far, there’s been a traffic (and probably commenting) bump, but then the only people who stick around are the ones that are actually interested and comfortable. Let’s hope the same thing happens this time.

–FD

PS: Notice to Trolls, though: We can be an angry and vindictive bunch, if pressed to that service. Play nice.

Forgot the Google Wangle!
    Orthodox Jewish Father

Which reminds me… has anyone checked out/heard anything about Accoona?

–FD (again)

43. jennifer says:

All of Northern Virginia (at least the 20 or so people I have turned on to Trixie) will be watching on Friday! How does it feel to be a celebrity> 🙂

44. Nay says:

Maybe I’m just paranoid, but I’d feel really squeamish about THAT much exposure. But congrats and have fun with it! I’ve been lurking on this site for many months now – I’ll try to be watching. Trixie is adorable, and just a little younger than my own daughter, so it’s fun to see her doing the same things, wearing the same clothes (I’m surprised at how rare this is, actually), reading the same books, playing with the same toys (we’ve got that LeapFrog fridge magnet thing w/ the animal sounds too!) …

45. Sarah G. says:

Coming out of lurkdom to ask…does anyone know if we can watch the segment on the internet anywhere? We don’t have cable!

46. Diane says:

WOW!That is sooo awesome! I can’t wait to see you guys on there!
    Congratulations!!!!!!

47. lori says:

Diane: When I first read about the announcement that Ben, Jenn & Trixie were going to be on MSNBC, I found they have transcripts for Keith’s show on his website.

Not sure if it’s every show they air, but it’s worth checking out.

Since I’m posting, again, Ben, even if there wasn’t any monetary compensation, I feel that if they’re doing a HALF HOUR show on YOU, they would at least give you a copy (on tape or something) of the show. That’s just my opinion. Oh, and I’m going to snack on popcorn while we watch.

48. lori says:

Oopps! My comment was for Sarah…and anyone else if they were interested.

About the length of the piece: It was my understanding that it was going to be half an hour, but I might have misunderstood how it works, or things might have changed. I just wanted to throw that out there so that no one is surprised or disappointed 🙂