More Loose Ends

1) The “One Year Ago Today” feature now works for all TPODs. See, you only had to ask about 20 times to get me to do it 😉

2) No more TPODs from the future. This change won’t affect 99% of you, but I felt like explaining to the other 1%. It wasn’t a big mystery to anyone who looked at the TPOD URL structure to figure out how to check ahead and see photos before they are supposed to show up. That didn’t really bother me — it just meant you didn’t get to see a “new” TPOD on that day. However, today someone not only looked ahead, but left a comment, thus exposing tomorrow’s TPOD link to all visitors. Because of this, future TPODs are now protected. Sorry – no more predicting the future 😉

This entry was posted in Site News. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to More Loose Ends

  1. Ariel says:

    I always saw “the TPODs from the future” not from snooping around your file tree…but from subscribing to the RSS feed for TPOD. When you publish TPODs, they automatically show up on RSS readers like Bloglines. I didn’ realize that I was looking at “future” pictures. 🙂

  2. benmac says:

    Ahhh — that’s interesting. Thanks for pointing it out. Sorry to point fingers 🙂

  3. Leslie says:

    I love checking in around 9pm West Coast time most nights to see a new TPOD come up. It’s always a great break from whatever I am working on.

  4. adam says:

    How can there be a “one year ago today” shot for every photo? I always figured the reason this feature existed for some TPODs and not others was that sometimes the date a year ago fell on a weekend, so there was no TPOD. Not so?

  5. Ariel says:

    I wish there was a way to sync up the TPODs with the RSS feed. I do almost all of my blog browsing via my feed list at bloglines.com, and it’s frustrating to see a new TPOD…that I can’t see. Of course I never rememeber to then go back and look at it later.

    I guess my next question would be…what’s the need for pre-posting?

  6. benmac says:

    adam: It’s the feature that now works for every TPOD. As you point out there won’t always be a “one year ago today” for every photo 😉 When this happens, you get a little sign that says “No TPOD one year ago today”.

    Ariel: Hmmm… I’ll have to look into that problem. The reason for the pre-posting is so I don’t have to stay up and click the publish button at exactly midnight. This way I can post the TPOD when it’s ready, and the php code on the site automatically displays the new TPOD at midnight EST. In the meantime, sorry about the RSS breaking 🙁

  7. schaff says:

    The latest version of Movable Type may automate this for you to some extent, because it understands future posting. My interpretation, although I haven’t used this feature, is that you enter the post and give it a time, and the server doesn’t include the post in either your HTML templates OR your RSS template before that time. If it indeed works that way, it means all your readers would get the same content, no one could see the future, and you would have done a lot of programming for nothing.