Thump-a-thunk

I was in the kitchen this morning, with Trixie in her crib, when I heard a huge thump-a-thunk. I promptly ignored it because how much trouble can she get into when she’s in the crib?

Not expecting anyone or anything else to be moving around the house, I almost screamed bloody murder when 10 seconds later Trixie came shuffling around the corner. This is a bad milestone, Trixie can get out of her crib.

This entry was posted in Milestones. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Thump-a-thunk

1. Rose says:

Since you have discovered a crib houdini…maybe it is time to invest in a tent for her crib. It is a see through tent with a zipper that easily fits over her crib. Just giving suggestions.

2. joe says:

Or just keep the crib rail partially down and let her come and go as she pleases. She’s going to try to get out of the crib one way or another, so you might as well mitigate the risk and make it as safe as possible.

3. Shawn says:

in the on going “sameness” of allison and trixie, we have the same crib. i assume it is lowered all the way down? if so….good times.

4. Melissa says:

Your post has made me laugh and laugh all morning. I just keep picturing the shock of peacefully tending to the kitchen and then turning around and the shock of having a little person standing behind you. That imagery should be good for a whole days worth of giggles.

5. Elizabeth says:

A friend of mine had a very similar experience, except that she woke up one morning and found her son snuggling in bed with her. He got sick of sleeping in the other room in the crib, so he climbed out and got in her bed!

AAAAAAAHHHHHH! Oh no! I’ve been peacefully thinking that Maddie (2 weeks older than Trixie) will stay in her crib until she can climb out of it, say in a year or so. Hopefully, Trixie is just very precocious in this skill. I’m NOT ready for a bed for the baby! Good for Trixie, though, that she can apparently land on her feet!

Rose, Joe: Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll see what works.

Shawn: Yep, it’s lowered all the way down. Good luck.

Melissa: We aim to please 🙂

Elizabeth: I would jump out of my skin if I woke up to something crawling into my bed in the middle of the night. (Didn’t you guys see the commercials for The Grudge?) I think the real problem here is that I played some of the Doom 3 demo earlier this week — it wasn’t a good time for Trixie to sneak up on me.

Maddie’s Mom: I don’t know for sure how she landed, but I’m almost positive it wasn’t on her feet. It was a pretty big Thump-a-thunk. Good luck 🙂

8. Nicholas says:

My kid only thumped once. Bonked his head and learned his lesson. So maybe she’ll learn that it hurts, but not too bad.

If she keeps getting out, then you need to figure out how to keep her in her room.

9. tj says:

Friends of mine lowered the rail and put another mattress in front of the bed so that when their son got out at least he wouldn’t hurt himself. As for making sure she stays in her room…I have no clue. I suppose we can’t lock them in their rooms? (JUST KIDDING) Just when you think you have one thing covered their is another riddle to solve. Good luck!

10. jennifer says:

hahahahahahaha — callie could sneak out of her creaky crib in a matter of seconds. never made a sound. she went through a period of about 4 months where i would lay her down (fully asleep) and within minutes she would be walking in the living room/bedroom/bathroom (wherever i was) and then she would just stand. talk about freaky. have you thought about a big girl bed yet? mosquito netting over a crib just makes me feel claustrophobic, not to mention that it would have p*ssed callie off to no end. 🙂 happy holidays!

11. Jon says:

Yep, I remember those occasions for our boys as well. With our eldest we tied a mesh over the top as a stop gap measure for a couple of days but then moved to a new home – not because of the crib escapes 🙂 – and he got upgraded to a full bed at that point.

With our twins the more gungho one figured it out first and so we settled on sleeping them on the floor until we could get a bunk which takes care of them all now. The less rambunctious twin still doesn’t know how to get out of a crib (or can’t be bothered) and so he sleeps in a port-a-crib quite often as well.

12. jenny r says:

My older daughter would get so upset we’d left her alone in her crib, she’d lean over the rail and fall straight onto her head. We had her in her very own full-sized bed early on.

I wonder how our second one will turn out. For now she sleeps with the rail down. She’s only 8 months but will soon be pulling herself up and all that.

13. Beth says:

I have heard that firefighters prefer when kids are locked in their rooms b/c during fires they tend to hide in linen closets, etc. and are tough to rescue. Not to give anyone nightmares. If I had a child who was prone to wandering at night, I’d get a room lock (or one of those doorknob covers that adults can operate but children cannot).

A friend had children who were so used to being trapped in their cribs that even when they moved to toddler beds, they felt they couldn’t get out of bed without help. It was heaven for my friend until they figured it out! 🙂

14. Sarah N says:

My daughter Meg is 14 months old and I hope she is no where near learning to climb out of her crib. I thought we had another year or so. Yikes!! I like Beth’s suggestion about a door knob cover. We have one on the inside of Meg’s door so she cannot get out. I let her play in her room while I go to the basement to change the laundry, get groceries out of the car, etc.

We have some friends who used what we call the string trick to teach their daughter in her room at night. They would lay a string across the doorway and if she went all night without crossing it, she got a reward the next day. I know another person who got a digital clock, taught his son to recognize a 7, covered up the minutes and taught him to only leave the room if a 7 was showing. That cured the startling 5:00am wakings with a baby standing in the doorway. Good luck!

Sarah N.

15. Sally says:

Early crib escapes… I remember thinking, “This can’t possibly be…” But alas, my son did it early on… Then, when he was 16 he left the house one night after I went to bed and went joy riding with his pals and got into a bit of trouble… Is there a correlation between early crib escapes and teenage escape artists??

16. Tonya says:

I remember those times very well when my 4 (5 in 3 weeks) year old learned how to climb out of the crib.

We ended up lowering the mattress level – we even added a few holes on the side of the crib to make it even lower.

But eventually he learned how to climb out of that.

Our 1 (2 in 3 weeks) year old hasn’t learned how to climb out of the crib (the very same crib that my 4 year old used) just yet – and I’m very glad! He’s much smaller than my 4 year old was at that age (my 4 year old is a giant at 4ft tall).