To cut or not to cut

Trixie’s hair is getting a little out of control. We’ve never cut it and the darn stuff just keeps on growing. Normally I wouldn’t care, but it’s gotten to the point that, I swear, I think she’s running into stuff because she can’t see.

The quick fix is the barrette. It doesn’t take long to master hair barretting. I learned it in a few short weeks. There’s always the fear that you’re going to slice right into the scalp with that thin sliver of metal, but it rarely happens. Now I can barrette her in seconds, with little to no blood loss.

Trixie’s take on barretting is negative bordering on curious. In the beginning, there was no chance it was going to stay in her hair. 15 seconds was a record. Now she’s used to it and it might stay in for hours. However, she always eventually discovers the barrette. Her expression, as she slowly pulls it from her hair and hands the alien artifact to me, is one of perplexed horror. It’s the same look you or I would have upon discovering a Matrix-like socket buried in our skull.

So we’re thinking about making everybody’s life simpler by whipping out the scissors. Nothing too serious — just the bangs. What do you guys think? Help choose the future of Trixie’s hair in our latest poll

The future of Trixie’s hair?

Buzz it all off. Save on Baby Shampoo: 19
Cut it yourself. Bangs are easy: 82
Cut it, but let a professional do it. We don’t need Trixie looking like she has the mange: 136
Barrettes. Let it grow. Pig-tails aren’t far away: 117
3 words. Guinness World Record. Don’t ever cut it: 9

This entry was posted in Day-to-Day Minutiae. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to To cut or not to cut

1. Elizabeth says:

Don’t make the mistake my mother did! The first time I had my hair cut, she did it (cutting bangs). After a couple of days, she decided it didn’t look very even, and she took me to her hairdresser to get it cleaned up. I climbed into the chair, the hairdresser looked at me, and she said, “Little girl, you’ve been playing with the scissors, haven’t you?” Of course, I piped up, “No, Mommy did it!”

Save yourself the embarassment. If you cut it, let a professional do it.

3. fred says:

I mean no offense, but this reminds me a little bit of when we used to send the dog to the groomer; it would always come back with a little bow in its hair and a look of recently-returned-from-a-screening-of-Texas-Chainsaw-Massacre on its face. After five minutes of steady work, hey presto, well adjusted dog and no bow.

So, if you send her to the groomers, make sure they use glue.

4. Francesca says:

Go to a pro. We use a really good kids place with videos, and toys, etc. The kids are really still and don’t flail around the scissors. Personally I wouldn’t want to be the one holding sharp scissors next to a toddlers face.

5. Nina says:

Now, I’m biased on this subject because all my life my parents had cutt my hair. They popped the bowl on top and gave me the “adorable page boy” look. I had a few years of kids coming up and asking me “are you a boy or a girl?” Its hard to tell when they are young and don’t have the gender specific hair.

I voted for the pigtails thing because its what I would wish for if I got to relive those days.
    Trixie will look so cute and awesome in pigtails.

Theres also the problem if you decide to just cutt her bangs yourself you may never be satisfied with it and keep cutting and cutting until….. oops! She’s bald.

Whatever you decide good luck! :>

6. Kelli says:

You have years ahead of you to let her hair grow, when she might be more willing to sit while you fix it. I had pigtails as a young child, and what I remember was crying while mom brushed the tangles out, b/c my hair was baby fine. Though that Johnson & Johnson no more tangles stuff works well, and I think they still make it.

I also have had the pleasure (?) of fixing the hair of a young child who had baby fine hair (as many of them do) and wanted pigtails. It was difficult to keep even the smallest ponytail holders in her hair b/c they would just slip out.

That said, I voted for the let a professional do it hair cut. I think the places like Francesca mentioned that are aimed at children’s cuts and know how to distract them are the way to go.

7. Erika says:

I have alternate visions of my mother yelling “get the hair out of your eyes” and then the horrible hair cuts she gave each of us (4) girls. She called them “pixie” cuts to make us think they were cute; they were not. Use a pro, and do just the bangs. BTW I think my mom reads this: Hi Mom!

8. John says:

“See, I would jump in and say, “That child is LYING!” Who are they going to believe?”

The child, of course.

“There’s always the fear that you’re going to slice right into the scalp with that thin sliver of metal, but it rarely happens.”

You, sir, are a genius of comedy.

9. Becky says:

I nannied for a little girl who was 2 1/2 and had never had her hair cut (although I think she had less hair than trixie does now). It was hard to keep the barrettes in at first, but eventually they stayed in. Now at 3 1/2 (and still no haircut) she has really cute long hair. You should just be glad that Trixie doesn’t take the barrettes from her head and put them straight into her mouth! Trixie seems to have a lot of hair for her age. Pigtails can’t be far away!

10. Rozanne says:

Definitely go to a pro–Trixie’s hair looks like it’s pretty fine, so it’s the kind of hair that will really show off a bad hair cut. (Trust me on this one.)

11. Katy says:

Please Please don’t cut it. I don’t think bangs would look cute on her. She’ll be able to have pigtails soon and it will be sooo cute.

I vote for bangs, cut by a professional. Warning: Trixie will no longer look like a baby when she gets her hair cut. She will be a little girl all the way!

13. Joie says:

One vote for bangs. Trixie seems to be a woman on the go with no time for fussy hair styles. But, PLEASE…don’t do it yourself!

14. mishmosh says:

After the “Attack of the Atomic Baby” costume, I’ve full faith and confidence in your scissor-wielding abilities. –Although it may be worth it to go to a pro to impress the fact that we don’t cut family members’ hair. At age three 3, a cousin and I flushed many inches of my mother’s hair down the toilet while she was sleeping!

15. Mary says:

Trixie has such BEAUTIFUL hair. I think it looks cute in a barette. It will look darling in pigtails. My vote is not to cut til she’s older. But when you do, you’ll have to put a lock of her hair from her first hair cut in her baby book. I have a lock in my baby book and it gives me an idea of what my hair was like back when it was perfect and innocent… before the hairspray days of the 80’s.

Back in the 70’s when I was little I wore plastic mod flower barettes in my hair and I even had the plastic classic yellow smiley face on my hair rubberbands. Sometime in the 90’s my generation started wearing our plastic little barettes in our hair all over again.

I have always been a long hair person except when I was 4 and got gum stuck in it. My parents tried to get it out with peanut butter, but were forced to take me to get it cut into the standard bowl cut. I hated it.

By the way, when you do cut her hair some day I think you’ll be good at it. You are a designer by nature (the proof is in this website) and anyone that can put together a website like this has to be someone with incredible patience, so I think you’re very capable of cutting Trixie’s hair. My dad used to cut our bangs when we were kids. We always sat high up on a Cosco stepstool chair. Maybe if she sits on something high that will help. Maybe she could wear sunglasses if you’re worried about the scissors near her eyes. 🙂 Or a cat eye mask.

Dudes!
    What’s up w/the hardcore lobby for the professional haircutters? Where are all the other DIY’ers? Definitely cut it, but do it yourself! It’s fun and it’s free. Sophie loves it when we cut her hair – we play “beauty parlor” – I set up the kitchen w/mood lighting and wear heels (sort of) and an apron w/all my tools of the trade, we stick her on a stool in her own apron in the middle of the kitchen, crank up the styling tunes, and go to town. She gets a lollipop when we’re done. It’s great. And what’s wrong w/bangs that are a little crooked? They look cute – homegrown and uncoifed. Geeze, who knew I had such strong feelings on the subject. Anyway, someone warned that Trixie will no longer look like a baby, and it’s true – be prepared to shed a tear and definitely factor in the risk that you’ll be off to make another baby post haste after seeing the big-girl Trixie and getting empty nest syndrome. Still, I say: cut away!

17. sarah says:

If you go Hannah’s way I would really like to see pictures.
    Mostly of Ben in the heels and mood lighting.

18. Kelli says:

I agree with Sarah’s comment that I want pics if Ben does it himself.

Or, perhaps you could take Trixie to Hannah’s house the next time she and Sophie play beauty parlor, and let her cut Trixie’s hair?

19. bex says:

A lot of people say that she will look cute with long hair, but I think she’ll still look cute with bangs or short hair. Until she’s old enough to express a preference, her hair should be in the style that is most convenient for her parents to take care of. She has her whole life to grow it out to a lovely Rapunzel braid, or punkify with a parent-bugging Tank Girl buzz cut. Oh, and I’m another voice for doing it yourself. Again, until she’s old enough to express her own opinion on the matter, your convenience is the important factor. If you think you could do a decent job, then go for it. Trixie won’t know the difference.

But then again, this is what you get for asking the Internet Public for advice.

20. IbePiglet says:

People put too much stock in long hair. It tangles and it hurts to comb it out, get the banana out of it, not to mention the sucker. And don’t get me started on people who yank their kid’s hair up into a tight ponytail or worse yet, yank that ponytail apart and call them pigtails! Isn’t it cute, her face is tighter than Joan Rivers! Let an adult wear their hair pulled tight all day and at the end of the day she’ll let you know in no uncertain terms that she has a HEADACHE. Why do that to a child? Get it trimmed! She’s a beauty.

21. Jen says:

I say hold out for the pigtials! Until then, if you are concerned with her swallowing the barrettes, get the ones with a bow on them or use the teeny tiny plastic rubber bands that they sell at Walmart. If you cut her bangs, your baby will disappear before our eyes and you’ll have a little girl. I don’t think I’m ready for that yet!

22. Mindi says:

My Aunt cut my bangs ONCE. She accidentally nipped my eyelid and we both freaked out. I still have the scar even though it was just a minor cut. She later had two girls but has NEVER CUT HAIR AGAIN. However, I would still say do it yourself if it’s just bangs, but please be careful.

That’s the most terrifying cautionary tale I’ve seen so far. I’ll make sure to duct tape her eyelids down before I start cutting.

24. Jill says:

Wow. Chicks/moms have a lot of opinions on this subject, and so I’ll throw in, too, since I seem to be qualified on both fronts. Here’s the thing no one’s mentioned: once you cut bangs you can’t go back. Well, OK, you *can*, obviously, but it is heart-wrenchingly painful, for a very long period of time, while you live with 2-tier hair or else a buzzcut to start from scratch. So, if you’re doubting at all, hold back.

That said, a trim to clean up the ends will be nice eventually, but there’s no hurry. A sad thing might happen, though: those cute little curls at the ends could be tamed by a haircut. Happened to my daughter, and it made me sad, cuz my hair is stick-straight, and I wished a better life for her.

My grandmother would say that bangs make a kid’s face look wider. Do with that info what you wish. Trixie’s a beauty, and appears to have a fabulously proportioned head.

I know you’ll do the right thing. I can’t believe I wrote that much.

25. Summer says:

Oh what i would give to have the problem of to cut or not to cut Autumn’s hair! She’s been quite bald since birth and still at 18 months, has less hair than Trixie did at probably 6 months! 🙂 I’d always wanted a baby girl to play with her hair and i can’t even really do anything with Autumn’s hair, so i’d say you’re lucky to have the problem of too much hair for Trixie!

26. lori says:

Summer: My mom probably felt the same way as you. I didn’t have hair until I was 2! Don’t worry, it will eventually start growing.