What's up with Trixie Tracker?

In case anyone doesn’t know, I’ve been working on developing the Trixie Telemetry module that appears on the top of the Trixie Update home page into full-fledged Baby Tracking software. Many people have asked about the status of the project, so here’s what’s going on:

Since the public announcement May 15th, I’ve poured every free minute into designing, developing, testing and troubleshooting, but the project just… keeps… on… growing.

I’m sure a lot of people want to know why the project keeps growing. I mean, it works on the top of the Trixie Update, why can’t you just use that? The basic reason is that the back-end of the Trixie Telemetry is not pretty. To be honest, it’s an absolute mess. There’s no easy way to make changes to collected data, to manage settings, or to turn telemetry collecting on and off, etc. These issues and more all have to be addressed in a way that makes using the application as easy as visiting the Trixie Update.

I realize this explanation doesn’t really help if you already have a baby at home who won’t sleep and you’ve been waiting patiently to set up your own Trixie Telemetry. All I can say is that we’re moving this thing forward as fast as we can.

Here’s what’s happening now: Trixie Tracker is currently under review by an outside software developer. This review will be completed by Nov 15th. I’m estimating a final 4-6 week implementation period to then bring the application to beta. The current goal is to have the beta version ready January 1st, 2005.

Basically, developing software is hard. I had no idea what I was getting into when I started, and that’s why it’s taken three times as long as expected. I could have written a whole blog about the trials and tribulations of web application design, but that would have just set me further back 🙂 To those parents who were counting on Trixie Tracker, you have my apologies. To look on the positive side, the completed application will be a great reason to have another kid.

[UPDATE 2/7/05] Obviously I was smoking crack when I came up with these estimates three months ago. But Trixie is in daycare now, I have a lot more time to work and it will happen soon. Thanks for sticking with us.

[UPDATE 11/28/05] Wow – a lot of time has passed. Trixie Tracker has not launched yet, but we have been in beta since May 2005. Hundreds of folks have been testing out the software (some for 6 months!) and we’ve been incorporating all their feedback to make a better application. As I’ve said before, we’ll launch soon 🙂

[UPDATE 3/8/06] Hey, how about that?! We have actually launched. Come check it out!!

This entry was posted in Site News. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to What's up with Trixie Tracker?

1. Laura says:

Hey, stop apologizing. Not only are you trying to work on the software, you’re also busy raising a time-consuming toddler who only has 2 short naps a day (actually, it looks like she’s down to one now?). I feel for you. I’m working with my Dad on a program I thought of – I’m doing the icons and graphics and such, he’s doing all the programming, and it’s a slow process – on my end. It’s not easy working around the kidlet, and some days I get absolutely nothing done!

So congrats on getting as far as you have! Just keep plugging along!

2. Jaynee says:

Well then I’ll have to get pregnant again in 2005 so I can use it! Looking forward to it!

3. Anil says:

Make sure and let us know when it’s done so we can promote it on the Movable Type site!

4. mazek says:

Thinking that I would have the software earlier, we went out and had our second. Not to put pressure on you or anything, but I’m not going to change him until I can track it.
    BTW, he turned three months today
    BTW, the house really smells

5. Tertia says:

I would love a copy of your wonderful charting thingy. I wrote about this a while ago and a few people told me to look at your site.

how is the app going?

rgds
    Tertia

6. Amber says:

I have a 3 month old little girl and this trixie tracker thing would be awesome to have…and pretty funny! lol I love it. I am going to continue reading your journal….My husband is a stay at home dad while I go to school till 2pm. He can empathize with all the leaks and poppy diapers finally. =o)

7. Elizabeth says:

Have you seen this?
    Web-based is of course better, but I thought you might want to be aware of potential competition.

8. Marla says:

Actually Web based isn’t better if you are concerned with privacy. With Web based you are storing information on a server somewhere. I used Baby Manager and I was glad that my baby’s personal information was only on my computer & PDA. Just something to think about for those of you concerned about privacy issues.

Also, I was able to take my PDA with me and track at all times. That’s nice when you don’t have access to a computer.

Anyway, just my opinion and some things to think about. 🙂

Exactly right. And you should also never use online banking because your personal financial information is stored on a server. Or use web-based email like yahoo or hotmail to send personal messages. To be honest, you probably should never, ever visit any websites or blogs at all. Just to be on the safe side.

10. Rachel says:

Right, you wouldn’t want some evil-doer knowing when your baby last took a dump.