TST

After taking this trip, I realize that Trixie’s decent sleep schedule exists only because of routine and familiarity. Once you throw those out the window, you get to see what horrible kinds of sleep instincts are still buried in that exhausted little brain.

Our plan was to begin the trip at bedtime, let Trixie fall asleep on the way up, and then carefully move her — still asleep — once we arrived around midnight. Trixie’s plan was to grab a short nap on the trip up, and then have us carefully move her — wide awake — once we arrived. She then proceeded to stay up until 2am.

As for the sleeping arrangements, Trixie slept (screamed) in the Pack ‘N Play portable crib during this trip. It wasn’t ideal, but it’s really the only solution because it just doesn’t work to bring Trixie into our bed. She is a kicker. She’ll also try to peel your eyelids or ears right off your face. In short, letting Trixie in our bed is dangerous, and it only happens when we make bad decisions in the middle of the night.

So for the duration of the trip, Trixie didn’t sleep that well overnight and she refused to take a nap during the day. The only time she actually fell asleep was from sheer exhaustion, and by the time we got to this point she was stumbling around, bumping into things, babbling incoherently, grinding her fists into her eyes and generally acting like she was drunk.

I also think Trixie was getting stressed out from waking up in a new place every time she fell asleep. She falls asleep in the car, wakes up in a strange apartment. Falls asleep in front of the Capital, wakes up in a coffee shop. By Monday she was struggling to keep her eyes open out of fear of where she might end up next. I know I would be a little freaked out. It’s like a Twilight Zone episode for toddlers.

Despite sleep challenges, we had a great trip and I’m ready to hit the road again. Trixie, however, is still catching up on her sleep.

Oh yeah, the title? Trixie Standard Time, of course.

This entry was posted in Sleep. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to TST

1. Tom N. says:

I can sympathize. When we went from Boston to Seattle for a week with Dorothy earlier this month (when she was just 7 months old), we had sleep problems through the trip and for a long time after getting back home. I think it took a week for her to re-adjust to her Boston schedule. Dorothy doesn’t kick too hard (at least not when she’s really asleep), so bringing her to bed is an option, even though it reduces our sleep.

Did Trixie re-adjust quickly once you returned home? Or did it take her a while?

Trixie readily took to her old schedule once we got home. She had two pretty good naps yesterday and two today.

3. Rozanne says:

How do you think she’ll do with the change back to standard time this weekend? My son gets up so early that I’m dreading it…

4. Sarah says:

All of the above is why I have a passion for sleep charts.
    I keep my own only on paper (please hurry with this project so that we might all have a web sight) and as of late they are crazy.
    We went to France two weeks ago and had to use the hated Pack N Play. It totally sucks. i dont know why there cant be a normal mini portable crib when the Pack N Play already is huge and weighs a ton.
    Maybe I will work on this and you create the web sight.

Sarah

5. John says:

Colum doesn’t sleep well when we travel either.

6. Dave says:

ben, this does bring up a good question… how is the telemetry project coming? its been a while since you mentioned working on it, and i understand life is busy, you can see it in your pictures. in a few months i would be needing it… 😉

7. tj says:

I hear you. We have gone on trips with our son and the pack’n play and because we hardly did anything the sleeping worked out well. It gave us some time to sit and read or even talk with each other while the little one was sleeping. Why travel? Oh, the air is different, and at home you usually end up “doing stuff.” At least the baby slept well.
    That said, the last time we traveled we visited the family – and sure enough, his sleep schedule was completely shot. But YOU try sleeping while there are up to 12 people in the room next to yours, chatting and laughing, separated by a wall that’s as thick as a sheet of paper. And you just learned how to crawl and have some teeth coming. Need I say more? He was UP all the time. And it took him almost 4 weeks to get back to a somewhat decent sleep schedule….He is snoring right now, oh what a sweet sound!

8. lori says:

Tom, awesome shot of the moon last night!
    Everytime we try and take a picture of the moon at it’s finest, we just get a large bright white glow in the picture and end up deleting it.

9. Tom N. says:

Lori,
    Thanks! (For those who are wondering, she’s talking about this photo.)

Rather than hijack TTU’s comments area, I just put up a new post on my blog, explaining how I did it.

10. Rubber-Sol says:

It’s always hard when kids don’t follow our “sleep logic.” I mean, there were so many nights when I went to bed happy, happy, happy knowing that I could sleep in a wee bit later the next morning, because, you know, my kids stayed up late, late, late! I always woke up a tad disgruntled when the wee ones woke up at the SAME TIME they always did!! I’m no sleep expert, but it is comforting to know that I’m NOT ALONE! 🙂
    My husband and I are taking the kids ( 2 and 4) to Hawaii this winter — I’m excited, but I also anticipate many, many exhausted mornings!