New Poll

It doesn’t tie into any specific story. It’s more of a celebratory “We finally have a new poll up” poll. (There are also some code tweaks that should make the poll work better from this point forward.)

When did you start using the pronoun “she” or “he” instead of “it” to refer to your pregnancy/baby?

Before we even got pregnant :10
After the pregnancy test: 27
After the ultrasound: 90
After the birth: 54
A couple of weeks after the birth: 9
A couple of months after the birth: 2
Still using “it”: 21

This entry was posted in Site News. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to New Poll

Yippee!!! It’s been so long since you let the people speak, I was beginning to worry you’d lost faith in the voting process. Which, of course, would not be surprising. But I am always proud to cast my vote on TTU. Thanks.
    Hannah

2. tj says:

Hmm, I guess we don’t fit in there because we took the test but had the technician seal it in an envelope which we didn’t open until months later on our wedding anniversary. Yeah, goofy, I know, but such a nice gift! Maybe that puts us in the “after the test” category? Or just plain “weird”…

3. Francesca says:

We called them they, until about 20weeks when we got a level two ultrasound and could see that we had one each. They were always very different, so we had no problem with identifying him from her!

4. jennifer says:

the options were “he” “she” or “it”. we have always referred to Callie as “the girl” 🙂

5. aidens momma says:

when we first found out i was pregnant, i was bound and determined that Aiden was a girl…so we called him ‘princess’…yeaaaaa. until our second ultrasound where he showed the world his outdoor plumbing. i guess the reason why he kicked so much was to say ‘Hey mom! IM NOT A GIRL!’ lol….besides that, he was ‘the bellybean’.

6. Laura says:

We found out she was a girl at our first ultrasound, but I still found myself calling her “it” for some reason. Guess the whole thing was just so hard to believe, that there was actually a human being in there. I can’t remember when she made the transition to a “she” – may have been after the second ultrasound at 32 weeks (that confirmed it was a “she” again), or of course, right after birth.

7. Jan says:

My wife is 24 weeks pregnant and since we didn’t want to find out the sex, we’re still referring to it as “it” or “the baby”…sometimes we slip and say “he” or “she” but it’s kind of funny we do that since we don’t know at all. Neither one of us have a feeling one way or the other as to what IT’s going to be.

Count me in the “in complete disbelief” camp. It took a long time to let go of the “it”, and that was just to transition to “the baby”.

9. Amy says:

Aiden’s Momma – I am sitting here ROFL at your post – since we did the same thing! First ultrasound showed a girl and the baby was called Katharine, Katie and “she” constantly. Dh was much worse about it than I was, because I knew ultrasounds could be wrong, lol. Second ultrasound, our “Katie” was showing “her” true equipment and my “she” went to a “he” in about 2 minutes. I was in shock, dh was in shock and my MIL didn’t believe us until we mailed her a copy of the ultrasound pic. I also wondered why I kept getting kicked like he was an extra point kicker, lol. He was mad about getting called Katie all the time! 🙂

10. aidens momma says:

Amy– Atleast Im not the only one!!! we felt like total shmucks when we saw that aiden was a he! the next one is gonna be baby ‘it’ til after it is born loL!

11. dayv says:

WE refered to our unborn as “bob”. We did not peek to see what the sex was going to be throughout the whole pregnancy. But for 9 months, the alien brewing inside my wife’s belly, male or female, was referred to as “bob”.

The hardest part was after our son, Grant, was born, was not calling Grant, Bob!!!

12. Erika says:

We did the same thing. We named the in-utero baby Rufus (long story) within the first few months just so we would have something to call him instead of “it.” We did find out early that he was a boy so I told the family we did not have to start calling my belly “Rufita.” Luckily Rufus was an easy name to drop once Jackson was born. But I still miss Rufus a little bit.

13. Jo says:

Erika, My Dad called my youngest son Eric, Rufus.He passed away when Eric was 15. They were very close. Jo

ps. Eric is 33 now.