First Year Specs

I was amazed at how fast babies grow back during the first month, and I remain amazed today. Even though that remarkable growth quickly tapered off and stabilized to a smooth curve, it’s still astounding to me.

Trixie almost tripled her birth weight over the past year. That’s not something you or I would want to attempt. (It would put me at around 550 lbs.) And she increased her height by 50%, which worked out to almost an inch per month. Who hasn’t wanted to be an inch or two taller? But 10.25″? That’s pretty crazy.

All along she has been in the 50th percentile for weight and toward the top end (80%-95%) for height. Here’s a look at the numbers:

Graph Image

Weight and Height Measurements for First Year
Event Date Weight % of Birth Weight Height % Height Increase
Born 7/31/03 6lbs 11oz 100% 20″
Left hospital 8/2/03 6lbs 2oz 92%
First doctor’s visit 8/4/03 6lbs 4oz 93%
2 week 8/13/03 7lbs 1oz 106%
3 week 8/22/03 7lbs 11oz 115%
1 month 9/2/03 9lbs 135% 22.5″ 13%
2 month 10/2/03 10lbs 13oz 162% 23.25″ 16%
4 month 12/3/03 13lbs 2oz 196% 25.25″ 26%
6 month 2/4/04 15lbs 1oz 225% 27.75″ 39%
9 month 5/3/04 17lbs 9oz 263% 28.25″ 41%
12 month 8/2/04 19lbs 11oz 294% 30.25″ 51%
This entry was posted in Growth, Metrics. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to First Year Specs

1. Laura says:

Wow – tall girl!

Are you and Jenn on the taller side? Keira is 26.5″ already at 5.5 months. Hubby is 6’2″, I’m 5’10”, so I guess you could say I saw it coming. It will be interesting to see what height they are at age 2 – they say (whoever ‘they’ may be) that you can predict a child’s full grown height by doubling their height at age 2. I was 35″ at 2 and exactly doubled my height by about 16. Anomaly, maybe. But you never know!

2. Kate says:

Wow, my 4-month-old just clocked in at 19-10 and 29 in. We already knew we had a big boy on our hands, though, since he was born 9-14 and 22 in.

We love TTU!

Laura:
    I’m 6’1″. Trixie is probably pulling most of her height from me because Jenn is barely 5’2″. (But in her defense, she comes across taller in person!)

Kate:
    A 29″ 4-month-old? Wow! That’s pretty impressive.

4. Laura says:

Hmmm… eeenteresting…

I’ve also read that for a girl’s predicted height, keep mom’s height the same, subtract 5″ (or something like that) from dad’s height, and baby will end up between the two somewhere… the opposite for boys – add 5″ to mom’s height, keep dad’s the same.

Although that one didn’t work for my cousin, who nearly outgrew her parents in height by the time she was 14 (she was 6″ tall, and at 24, is 6’2″).

Fun to think about though!

5. Dave says:

That’s a neat formula but from what I can tell, it’s not terribly accurate. My mother is 5’5″ and my father is 6′. Using your formula, my brother and I should be between 5’10” and 6′. My brother is 5’9″ and I’m 6’2″. If you take the average between us you get 5’11 1/2″ – maybe it does work as an average.

6. cynfred says: