She missed the bowl

As reported last week, we had only intended for Trixie to get used to going in the bathroom with us and get familiar with the new potty. She surprised us by actually getting very familiar with the potty — four days in a row. This was only a once-a-day event, but we were pretty excited. I was positive that she had made the physiological association and was well on her way to enjoying “on demand” bladder control skills. Turns out I was wrong. Either that or she actually does have full control, but just has a different agenda from the rest of the household. On day five, I sat her down and nothing happened. OK, no problem – no pressure. I’m still happy. Our record was still 4 and 1. But that’s not the final score.

As I was getting the bath ready, just 30 seconds after she got off the potty, Trixie promptly crawled over to the middle of the bathroom and peed all over the floor. I’m not sure what to make of it as far as potty training goes, but in my opinion, peeing on the floor is a much bigger problem than changing a wet diaper. As a result, my enthusiasm has been tempered a little for this endeavor, but we haven’t given up. I just might have to throw down some newspapers or cat litter. And, in case anyone was wondering, this was not counted as a diaper leak.

This entry was posted in Behavior, Diapers. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to She missed the bowl

1. DavidNYC says:

I can’t wait until people start e-mailing Ben saying, “I don’t think it’s a good idea to use cat litter for your baby.”

2. giddy says:

If it makes you feel any better, our daughter peed on the floor occasionally at age 3 during our potty training endeavors. (Including on the bedroom rug, which is even worse to clean up than the bathroom floor!!!) Trixie’s excuse (“I’m not even 1, Dad!”) is much better than our daughter’s (“Um, I forgot to go to the potty”). I do think kids like to see what happens, and that’s probably what my daughter was up to. “What will my parents do if I go on the floor?” And maybe Trixie felt the same way….

In any case, don’t take this as criticism for experimenting with potty training so early—I certainly don’t mean it that way! Good luck, and may your floors be pee-free forevermore!

3. tien says:

i think the obvious solution would be to renovate all the rooms in your house and install drains and sloped floors in them so any pee would trickle away into the drains. of course, you would then need a hose or something to wash the floors.

Tien makes a good suggestion. It would make your laboratory (and Trixie’s) more user-friendly. That way she can continue to experiment with gravity in a whole new arena. Not to mention having some good clean fun. Seriously, it’s amazing she peed on the potty at all.

BTW, why do all breeders have to say “potty”? Every time I say it I cringe.
    Hannah

5. Rob says:

Hey, at least she got the room right.

6. lori&scott says:

I’m laughing at the cat litter idea! It’s a good one, but I caution you…we have a “box” for our cat (with full enclosure and all, for privacy), but he still insists on going outside. My husband couldn’t be more pleased – less to maintain. (Getting up in the middle of the night to let the cat out – that’s a different story!) I’m not suggesting Trixie go outside, of course, but if the weather’s nice…JK.

She seems to be doing great – and her record proves it! Good luck!

7. lori&scott says:

She seems to be doing great – and her record proves it! Good luck!

Pee Telemetry!! I want Pee Telemetry!

And don’t tell me *I’m* obsessed, you’re the one who is seriously considering it even as you cringe.

(And yes, I’m kidding. Let Trixie have her pee in peace.)
    (Although — you don’t have to make it public, but it wouldbe excellent embarass-her-at-her-engagement-party data.)

–FD

DavidNYC:
    I know, I know — I’m supposed to use baby litter. But cat litter is so much cheaper!

giddy:
    I can only hope that it was a true accident and not her testing me.

tien:
    Your advice is by far the most practical. I wish more houses were built that way.

hannah:
    Potty, potty, potty, potty. If you say it enough the word loses all meaning. Seriously though, I hate the word too. Makes me feel about 6 years old. Any suggestions? Crapper? WC?

Rob:
    Until you wrote that, I never realized how much worse it could have been.

lori&scott:
    Actually I think going outside is right up there with tien’s drain solution. I think the problem of having to get up in the middle of the night could be addressed by installing a baby door.

FrumDad:
    I’ve been struggling with how to track progress in that area. I’m torn between a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled research protocol or having a beer. It’s probably going to be the beer.

10. John says:

I recently heard a band (Over the Rhine- very enjoyable if you like Cowboy Junkies/Sarah McClachlan style music) perform a song they’d written for a children’s compliation. The chorus was:

Poop in the potty
    poop goes in the potty
    poop in the potty
    poop goes in the potty

And the verses list all the places not to put the poop – the wall, your sister’s hair, etc.

Which of course made me wonder if somethign terrible was lurking around the corner of Year Two. Then it was confirmed: some friends are potty training their child, who gets “poopy prizes” if he does his business in the toilet rather than in his diaper.
    But this has begun to backfire somewhat. His grandmother gave him a tent for a poopy prize, and he tells people “That’s my tent. I got it for going poopy.” And he has pooped in it as well.
    And then there was the time when he got a Really Cool Something for a prize and wanted another and so said “T. poop agian get nother poopy prize” and dropped his drawers and evacuated right there on the spot. Which spot was not, mind you, the potty.

11. Kirsten says:

Just wait until you are really serious about toilet training and your child poops on the floor. Cleaning up pee will send fun compared to that. Anyhow I applaud your efforts in letting your little one try the old potty out. We started early and our daughter was using the adult toilet just one month after turning 2. And about 4 months later was trained at night as well. We had a ton of accidents. But I tell you when I watch my friends try and change there 2 1/2 to 3 year olds I’m glad we did it. Changing a kid that big should be an Olympic sport.

12. DavidNYC says:

The story about the kid pooping in the tent has me laughing pretty good.

13. patrick says:

Pitching a loaf after pitching a tent.

Lyrical.

I hope you aren’t sharing these ideas with Trixie! She seems to have enough without encouragement.

14. Rigel says:

We’ve just finished potty training our soon-to-be-3-year-old, and I didn’t realize how lucky we were when it came to having accidents. Of course, she wanted to be going potty from the time she was 18 months old, so we’ve been doing it for a LONG time. 🙂 But she’s finally wearing “big girl panties”, and she only wet the bed twice in all that time. I was figuring on having her trained by the time she turned 2, but I found out she was definitely on her own schedule. But it WAS fun, especially being able to make rude noises to illustrate the points I was trying to make.

Keep up the good work on the site, and give Trixie a hug for just being cute.

You really did have a good record w/Trixie’s pee and as others have pointed out so explicitly (and hilariously), there are much worse accidents out there. If only you could teach her to vomit in the crapper, then you’d really have something going on that would make stomach flu nothing but a minor glitch for you, rather than an environmental disaster.
    Hannah

16. handsomebaby says:

Girls peeing on the floor, try a boy running thru the house then peeing on the furniture. And of course if the poop on the floor the dog usualy gets it befor I can grab something to clean it up.

So does the dog help the situation or make it worse?

18. Jenn says:

LOL at the poop stories. A family friend initiated a poo-in-the-potty incentive for their little boy by taping action figures to the wall. If the poo went in the toilet, he got an action figure. One day, however, he waltzes out of the bathroom with a poo-covered toy proclaiming gleefully that the “poo in the potty!” When his mom walked in, sure enough, the mess was in the toilet. Unfortunatey, there was also poo on the floor where he had actually gone to the bathroom, scooped it up, and placed it in the potty. It was also all over the wall where he had removed the action figure with poo covered hands.