Good Morning Sunshine!

I always imagined that real babies would wake up the way they do in cartoons. You know, a sunbeam breaks through the blinds, and the sleepy little baby slowly blinks awake, streeeeetches, yawwwns, and maybe even rolls over in an attempt to snuggle back to dreamland.

So, my question is, is there any way to get them to stop screaming when they just wake up? I guess first I should ask whether it’s something that all babies do, or if it’s only Trixie.

No matter what time of day she wakes up, whether it’s after a good night’s sleep or just a 38-minute nap, Trixie is vertical and hollering within seconds of waking.

I’ve watched her wake up before. When it’s close to the end of her nap, I’ll peek in from behind the door. She’ll usually be peacefully sprawled out. Then without warning, she’ll twitch a little and suddenly flip herself over and urgently begin to pull up on the crib bars — all in one move. Picture someone in a cage being lowered into a pool of water. That’s the sort of desperate struggling, yelling and clawing up the side of the crib I’m talking about.

The panic stops the instant one of us goes to pick her up, so it’s not something I’m concerned about. Besides, the quirky wake state could simply be a genetic trait she got from her mother. Jenn tends to wake up rather ‘alert’. I once slept through a tornado that removed the roof from my house.

Otherwise, I figure Trixie’s either having bad dreams right before she wakes up or she’s naturally suited to join one of those fringe conspiracy groups where sleeping with your boots on and waking up in a state of emergency is encouraged. All I know is that when the revolution comes, she’ll be ready.

This entry was posted in Behavior, Sleep. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Good Morning Sunshine!

1. shawn says:

no, its not just Trixie. My Allison does the same thing too…its kinda spooky-weird.

2. John says:

Colum wakes up like this also. Once in a blue moon he’ll wake up and play; once he woke up and started singing to himself. But 99% of the time, he’s just like Trixie.

3. kelly says:

my 11mo old wakes up from naps screaming, but wakes up in the morning very peaceful and actually plays in his crib for 30 minutes or more before I feel guilty enough to go get him. His older brother did the exact same thing. I have always wondered what the difference is between waking up in the morning and waking up from a nap????

4. Lennon's Dad says:

Lennon does the same thing about 50% of the time. It seems to come and go. Now the one that infuriates me is when he’s fallen asleep in the car or carraige, and I put him down for a nap .. and the mere contact with the bed makes him sit straight up and cry. Doesn’t matter if he just fell asleep or has been out; it’s something about horizontal. And he acts as though he was never even tired; it is as though the nap is “wasted”. Ugh.

5. Nicholas says:

Both my kids wake up slower than that. Sometimes they would just play in their crib for a while. Though my older son is always really cranky after a nap. Falling asleep in the car counts as a nap. He just gets in this funk where nothing will make him happy. For a while we gave him a piece of candy after his nap. That snapped him out of it. Then we just gave up naps.

6. walhome says:

My 6 yo, when a baby, would wake up peacefully, “talk” to her stuffed animals/blankets/whatever, sing to herself, then call out for us. As we have intercoms in all our rooms, she seemed to understand that she only had to use her “quiet voice” and we’d hear her. My 2 yo, will screech at decibels approaching jet engine level, which amplified at 4:00AM by the intercom sitting on our headboard will make for a rather Keystone Kops type running around by the Missus and I before orienting on the kid’s room. (You’d think we’d learn after 2 years.)

As you can see, it’s not all babies, but there are others who wake straight up, as it were. I think you have the right attitude, though, Sunshine. You’re finding the silver lining in the dark cloud – Trixie is ready for the revolution. When you think of it that way, would you really want her to be a passive wimp, taking life laying down, compleltely unprepared to confront the Man? Viva la revolution and Trixie the survivalist. (The key now is to hope that she becomes the good kind of revolutionary rather than the scary Idaho-compound kind). Good luck.
    Hannah

8. …or just a 28-minute nap, even; same here.

9. Shannon says:

Logan is 1.5 yrs now, and often wakes kinda panic-ed. He’ll wake up, look around, stand up – and then start to get upset – kinda like he realizes that he’s missed “something” the whole time he was napping. Occasionally, he’l just wake up, and wander off to play, without incident. Weird.

10. Josh Gormley says:

My baby is 3 months old and he will generally wake up gently and respond with a smile on his face when I go to pick him up. For those of you who are looking for advice on how to get better sleep for your child, I would definitely recommend “Healthy sleep habits happy child” by Weissbluth. The biggest key in the book, which seems so counter-intuitive, is that putting you baby to sleep earlier rather than later will actually solve most of your child’s sleeping problems. When they say early, they mean 6:30pm-7:30pm.

We’re doing ok now, but for a while we were using that “the no-sleep cry solution” book.

12. Diaper Diva says:

So, because I’m floored by how unclever we are in contrast to you and your fancy Trixie pages, I have to lash out by saying that my darling Keene wakes up with a huuuuuuge smile, replete with sunbeams and choral music, after every rest and does a little hoppy dance while he waits for us to pick him up. The screaming and baby-barking comes only when he sees us and more than 10 seconds have passed before he’s been released.

Indeed he is not peeing on the potty at 9 months nor is he taking the ice plunges but he is a rampaging little rompster, clearing a wide path with a floor-slapping speedcrawl on his way to every drawer, cabinet and outlet which we are remiss in “proofing.”

Fun website!!! I’m personally jealous of the time you find to put this together. The FUN-nest part is seeing all the funky names we parents have culled from who-knows-what list to make our babes sound unique! What a scream!

13. christina says:

Well good for you ‘diaper diva’. Ya know people look for help at these sights. Nobody wants to weed through the solutions and the people who gloat. Next time don’t butt in unless you have some helpful information ON THE TOPIC. I’m sure there’s a website for mothers who like to brag.

14. Jo says:

I think Diaper Diva was a bit tongue in cheek,Christina. I rather enjoyed her comment!
    No bragging there.

15. Julianna says:

Peter is 8 months old and never did this until he figured out how to pull up. Before if he was still tired he could not stand so he rolled over and went to sleep. Now almost like sleepwalking he stands up and starts to scream. If I can get to him fast somtimes he will go back down if I nurse but most of the time his own screaming has him up. Like your little girl he is fine the min I pick him up, but tired.

16. Jessica says:

My niece is 9 months old and she got to where she’d wake up and my sis would hear her on the baby monitor just “talking” to herself for a while before she was ready for someone to come rescue her. She still does this. (But don’t let her see you trying to sneak quickly pass the door or try & peek in without her noticing – she has radar!) She just plays with her pacifier or messes with her toy. It’s too cute! Trixie just misses you so much and can’t wait to see you is all!! 🙂