New Poll

It can be tough to decide on a baby name. How did you end up making your decision? Let us know in the new TTU poll (to your left under ‘Latest TTU Comments’.)

How did you pick your baby name?

Family Name: 21
Baby Name book: 9
Months of agonizing indecision: 47
The Federal Registry of Trademarks (AppleĀ®, anyone?): 3
Was used on an episode of Friends: 3
It wasn’t painful at all – we just knew: 18

This entry was posted in Site News. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to New Poll

1. sarah says:

We had all the same issues. We even looked at the SS name web sight. I think just before Frances was born the New York Times Magazine had an entire issue devoted to the topic. We ended up with Frances because it’s a family name. I’m Sarah the 4th but Sarah non-the-less. Frances had a nice ring to it. It was a name that we thought wouldnt pin a girl down.Now she goes by Francy. Or Francy pants, or sometimes French Fry.

2. John says:

None of the above! We chose his name on the way home from the ultrasound based on a more or less random series of suggestions from me.

(The whole story is at the end of this longish post: http://www.celebratingcolum.org/life/witnessing_prehistory.php)

Yeah, the choices for the poll today are a little uneven. I suspect just about all of us agonized for months in addition to considering baby name books, the SSA site, random stranger advice and familial pressure. Plus Gwyneth hogs one choice all to herself for Baby Apple®. This is what happens when I write a poll after only getting 4 hours of sleep.

Also, I’ve read that post before, and really liked the whole ultrasound description. I like French Fry too.

4. Dawn says:

First baby, we went straight to the family tree. We also wanted something that said, “Hey, I’m Jewish” and at that time all the Noahs I knew were Jewish so we went with that. Alas, Noah became THE name of the decade and my son will forever have to go by Noah [initial of last name].

The second baby is a recent addition via adoption and her birth mom named her. We were going to change it with the help of said birth mom (we were all three going to pick a name together) but then we thought why not keep the name she is born to? So she is Madison and again, will likely go by Madison [initial of last name].

5. Charlie says:

I find that most of my son’s preschool classmates, especially females, have last names for first names. You know what I’m talking about. It’s annoying.

6. Dianne says:

ABCNews.com has an article about baby names, prompted by Gwyneth’s choice of “Apple.” The most interesting fact I saw in it is “Last year, for the first time in American history, the top 50 names accounted for less than 50 percent of boys born each year, and for less than 40 percent of girls.”

7. Tabitha says:

We too agonized over the name of our baby. We had a list of requirements that helped narrow the field intially. We wanted a unique name but not a name that makes you go “huh?”. We finally settled on Carys (even though now we still get “huh?” once in a while) A month later Catherine Zeta-Jones named her daughter Carys so now the name is somewhat in popular culture.

On a side note about Gwyneth’s name choice (which I actually think I may get used to and eventually like). I was amused at first b/c my sister-in-law and I used to have a running joke about finding unique names for our babies. We used pasta. “Come here little Fusilli” or “I love you little Linguini” etc. Now with Gwyneth’s choice of Apple, will we have “little Kiwis” or “little Canteloupes” in the future?