Standing News

Trixie has been pulling herself up and standing for about a month now. Maybe a little longer, I can’t remember anymore. Once she became vertically mobile — in addition to horizontally mobile — she demanded 10 times the attention. There’s been no time for written documentation. I miss the days when she would just lie on the floor like a slug. Those were good times.

Now she clambers over everything in the apartment. She grabs hold of doors, walls, corners and furniture. She’s most fond of grabbing at your pant legs to try to pull herself up, because she naturally wants to be exactly where you are. Unfortunately, she’ll also grab at your bare legs. This is an excruciating experience because her fingers are tiny, icy, little daggers. This is mostly because her hands are constantly in her mouth, therefore constantly wet, and the slobber evaporates leaving her hands cold as marble. There’s no good solution for this – even if you put gloves on her they would be soaking wet in 5 minutes. I’m looking forward to warmer weather or to her standing up on her own, whichever comes first.

This entry was posted in Behavior. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Standing News

1. DavidNYC says:

I should not be giving you baby advice, but… I know there’s shit out there you can rub on your kids’ fingers that makes them taste gross. My mom tried to use this crap to get my sister to stop sucking her thumb. I don’t know if it worked. But it exists.

2. Amanda says:

I think that nasty stuff is called quinine, or something like that.

I’m not sure this is a good idea at all. Anything I rub on Trixie’s hands is eventually going to end up in my mouth because she loves grabbing and exploring my face when I hold her.

4. DavidNYC says:

Breathe through your nose.

5. John says:

I wouldn’t want to do that; I like it when my son wants to touch and explore my face. It’s sort of intimate and makes my heart beat faster.
    To deal with the cold fingers, I just carry a burp cloth in my back pocket and periodically wipe my son’s fingers off.

6. DavidNYC says:

As I said, I really should not be giving baby advice.

7. fred says:

things like bitter apple and hot pepper can also do the same thing, and are less nasty for adults. and it’s organic, and all that. although, i don’t know that i would want baby-drool-infused tabasco any more than icky thumb-sucking stuff. my understanding is that it has mixed results.

This comment thread is getting so much attention with all the different suggestions that I feel I need to step in and clarify:

Trixie does not have a thumb sucking problem. She only sucks her thumb when given her “silky” (this silky little blanket thingy) and she only gets her silky when it’s time for a nap. There is such a tight correlation between these events that when it’s her naptime we can often simply give her the silky and she’ll thumbsuck herself to sleep.

What she does when crawling around the house is shove everything she can find in her mouth. And if it doesn’t fit in her mouth she just leaves a trail of slobber all over it. That’s why her hands are constantly wet – and constantly cold. She incessantly taste tests everything she comes across.

So while all the above suggestions are interesting, if not a little disturbing, they aren’t exactly applicable to this situation. But should her thumbsucking become a problem, we’ll know what to do.

9. John Davis says:

re: “if not a little disturbing”

I agree; I’m not into doing things to stifle a baby’s natural curiosity and relationship to his/her own body. Babies suck thier fingers/hands. They all do it; I figure the trait evolved for a good reason.

Some of the grandparents-aged people we know advise stuff like this all the time, but almost all of the advice seems designed to make life more convenient for parents, and not in the best interests of the baby.

10. IbePiglet says:

I sucked my thumb, and I remember doing it when I was upset until probably kindergarten. It was wonderful, it helped me, and it was always there. Should you ever feel it becomes a “problem,” examine first whether it really is a problem for Trixie, or for you.
    Secondly, mouth exploration is simply natual at this stage. Looking at and feeling are simply not enough. They need additional sensory information about everything, hence the mouth. Her hands will eventually not be so wet, things in the house will eventually not be slobbery, and you’ll longingly remember back to when they were.

11. badgerbag says:

Wait till it actually gets warm, and you have sweaty, grubby, sticky, horribly cthuloid baby hands all over you – you will long for the days of the daggers of icy marble.