The Food Report

We’ve been feeding Trixie solids for 2 months now. As readers know, we started her on the ever-present Rice Cereal. It’s become strangely familiar and comfortable since that first awkward encounter. I’m so used to the smell (and taste) now that it’s hard to remember how much it offended during those early days. Now Rice Cereal is added to just about everything she eats.

We then moved on to baby food. I still think it’s funny that it’s actually labeled “baby food”, i.e. food for babies. This is such an elegant idea. It makes me wish for jars of “adult food” for those days when I’m not sure what I’m hungry for. Trixie has plowed through 35 various jars of Squash, Sweet Potatoes, Peas, Carrots, Green Beans, Pears, Peaches and Bananas, introduced in that order. At about 45¢ a jar, this makes her food costs an extremely reasonable $7.87 a month.

On the heels of the baby food, we introduced a few miscellaneous items. She has been eating Cheerios for about a month now, and we began yogurt when she started her antibiotic.

Of all the foods, the Cheerios are the most interesting. Prior to Trixie, I only regarded cereal by the bowl-full. However, when you dole it out on a piece-by-piece basis, you become aware of immense variation among the individual pieces. There are giant puffy Cheerios, hard shriveled ones, flattened ones and thin ones.

(The giant puffy ones are the best.)

We started by quartering the Cheerios because we were so terrified of her choking. This lead to half-Cheerios and eventually we ventured to give her an entire one. Now she attempts to feed herself by the fistful. This is pretty funny because she has enough coordination to bury the Cheerio in her little fist, but not enough to guarantee that when she shoves her fist in her mouth the Cheerio will be left behind. This leads to sticky, soggy Cheerios stuck everywhere.

To Trixie’s extreme excitement, I had been throwing a handful down on the floor (picture feeding ducks at the park.) After a few minutes, I check her progress. And to my excitement, they would be all gone — until she crawls off and I see that the Cheerios are stuck all over her feet and butt. I estimate less than 10% actually end up in her mouth. Now I’ve gone back to rationing them out one at a time.

This entry was posted in Food. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The Food Report

1. DavidNYC says:

Why did you decide to start feeding her Cheerios? You tell us the “what” but not the “why”.

Guilty as charged. Sorry to shortchange you. We were given a list of foods from the pediatrician to introduce to Trixie at around 6 months. Top of the list: Cheerios. I think it must be some sort of massive conspiracy orchestrated by General Mills.

3. fred says:

The rice cereal, and your changing feelings for it, sound exactly like the gruel they eat in the Matrix. . . did you give Trixie the Red Pill?

4. DavidNYC says:

I always thought Cheerios had sugar. Do they? Anyhow, you can fight the General Mills power, if you so choose. A lot of grocery stores sell cheapo generic brands in bags instead of boxes. Much less $$$, and Trixie definitely won’t know the difference.

Another finger food for babies w/less sugar and salt and no support of General Mills – veggie booty. It’s like cheetos but made w/veggies – kale, spinach, carrots, etc. – and babies really dig it. I never met a baby who didn’t like it. I turned the mothers in my moms group in BK onto it and they all loved me for it. Give it a try. And don’t be afraid of the size, they kind of melt – like cheetos. Get them at whole foods or Harris Teeter and Meadowmont.
    h

6. DavidNYC says:

Hmm. Veggie Booty has a bit fewer carbs than Cheerios do, but over a third of its calories are from fat, whereas about 10% of calories are from fat in Cheerios. Yes, yes, I know – low carb is all the rage these days. But I’m not sure we want to be putting kids on the Atkins Diet just yet.

BTW, Ben, you should enable HTML links in your posts (as opposed to the ugly URLs I had to slap up there).

The Veggie Booty works. Trixie likes it in a curious sort of way. And, as you said, it dissolves into a gooey drippy slobber that doesn’t always stay in her mouth.

As far as Cheerios vs. Booty, I’m going to steer clear of any kind of Atkins Diet conversation. I prefer a less controversial discussion on these pages, perhaps about abortion or the death penalty.

I’ll see about enabling the HTML links.

8. Danielle says:

Yesterday I witnessed “Mac & Cheese” jar baby food. It was pureed and so extremely bizarre. Someone who tasted it told me it was like “cream of puke.” It totally backs up my theory that people buy food for other creatures (babies, cats, dogs, fish) based on their own tastes because babies are not born with an appetite for processed cheese with pasta.