There's not a lot of redundancy built into the system

Apparently if we get sick, no new stories get posted to Trixie Update. It’s one of the downsides to not having an intern. We’ve both been sick this past week. I’ve been fighting a losing battle against a cold and Jennifer got hit with a double whammy of a cold plus mastitis (or maybe mastitis plus cold – we’re not sure which came first).

Taking care of Trixie is much more complicated when you’re trying not to sneeze, cough or breathe on her. You also have to work to keep her hands out of your mouth, nose and eyes. We’re not even totally sure that these measures have paid off — Trixie has had a dry cough all week, although no other symptoms. But even if she does get sick, I think we can still count ourselves lucky since Trixie’s been in perfect health up to this point.

This entry was posted in Day-to-Day Minutiae. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to There's not a lot of redundancy built into the system

1. Amanda says:

Hope you all feel better soon!

2. Charlie says:

I hope everybody is feeling better.

It’s good that Trixie has been healthy, the breast milk is paying off. From here on out though I suggest keeping Trixie in a sterile glove box and scrub her down with betadine every few hours. The box has the added benefit of muffling any crying that may occur.

So sorry!!! Feel better soon. Trixie, give your parents a break, will you? At least until they get well enough to battle you on more equal footing . . .
    Hannah

4. Carol says:

Sooo sorry to learn you are all ill. Hope it passes soon. Our thoughts & prayers are with you.
    Carol

Thanks for all the wishes. We are still suffering (but on the upswing) and Trixie still seems to be well. It must be all the antibodies in breast milk. Maybe I should have been drinking a glass of that instead of orange juice.

I haven’t convinced my wife to try this yet, but I have it on excellent authority that an excellent way to nip budding colds, well, in the bud, is to have the appropriate mother squirt some breastmilk into the baby’s nose. This supposedly works for ear infections (apply squirt to ear).

If this works, medical science should be on this like white on rice (unless you eat brown rice, in which case please adjust simile as necessary). If this doesn’t work, it still has tremendous humor potential.

I’m still working on getting G to try it with Rachel. I’ll tell you if I have any luck.

–FD